• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Korsun 44 Gold airpower question
02-08-2022, 01:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2022, 01:15 AM by jonnymacbrown.)
Korsun 44 Gold airpower question
Playing German I slowly began to realize that, turn after turn, my ultra-valuable Stuka squadrons would disappear. For example, @ 1200 I'd have six available, want to save them for the next turn, and then @ 1400 I'd have only two. What is the formula? Right now for me, it's "use 'em or lose 'em." I use all available Stuka units immediately, whether I really need 'em or not. It's pretty much the same thing for my He-111 squadrons as well. There is no sense in keeping any reserves. jonny Crazy
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2022, 01:28 AM,
RE: Korsun 44 Gold airpower question
Presumably the vis went down. That lowers available air under normal default rules. If vis went up, it would increase the number, potentially.
[Image: exercise.png]
02-08-2022, 01:33 AM,
(02-08-2022, 01:28 AM)Ricky B Wrote: Presumably the vis went down. That lowers available air under normal default rules. If vis went up, it would increase the number, potentially.

I don't think that's it because it happens all the time. Plus there's a notification when visibility is worsening and that happens only rarely in this game, and when it does, it's usually in the morning or evening.
02-08-2022, 05:41 AM,
So do you have the same number of air units available but unused good air units get dropped and recon or something show up the next turn?

I have no other ideas. Never had a drop in air units available without vis dropping or using them in the prior turn. But the mix changes as they are randomly selected each turn.
[Image: exercise.png]
02-08-2022, 05:51 AM,
I was of the impression that the available air is rolled at the beginning of each turn...no idea where I have this from but for me it was normal to sometimes lose not used air assets.
"Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu." - PzGrenB.13 Ried/Innkreis
02-08-2022, 06:03 AM,
(02-08-2022, 05:41 AM)Ricky B Wrote: But the mix changes as they are randomly selected each turn.

That's probably it. Thanks! LOL
02-08-2022, 06:04 AM,
(02-08-2022, 05:51 AM)KAreil Wrote: I was of the impression that the available air is rolled at the beginning of each turn...no idea where I have this from but for me it was normal to sometimes lose not used air assets.
Thank you K. I think this is the answer. Helmet Wink
02-08-2022, 08:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2022, 08:44 AM by Green.)
(02-08-2022, 06:04 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote:
(02-08-2022, 05:51 AM)KAreil Wrote: I was of the impression that the available air is rolled at the beginning of each turn...no idea where I have this from but for me it was normal to sometimes lose not used air assets.
Thank you K. I think this is the answer. Helmet Wink

No, that is not how it works. Once a unit ceases to be unavailable it will remain available unless visibility temporarily prevents it from being available on a particular turn. Visibility does not have to change, it just has to be poor based on the PDT values. Normally this means 3 or less.

However changes to air availability for a given unit can be scheduled by the designer. Any such changes can be viewed by selecting Air Availability under the Units menu.

Also note that if no valid spotter is available, but the unit is available, its entry will be greyed out in the Air Mission Dialog as there is no mission it can fly. Whether or not a spotter is valid will depend on the organization that the air unit is subordinate to. Units that are unavailable will never appear in the dialog.

John
02-08-2022, 09:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2022, 10:16 AM by Green.)
It may be worth clarifying how Low Visibility Air Effects (LVAE) work, as this is probably where the confusion lies.

If the LVAE % (as defined in the PDT) for the current visibility level is below 100%, then each available air unit is checked separately against this percentage to see if it is actually available for the current turn.

If for example the visibility was 3 and the corresponding PDT % was 75%, then each available unit has a 25% chance of being grounded for that turn. Because of the random nature of this process you may be lucky and all available units will be able to fly or unlucky and none will. More probably you will get something roughly in line with the LVAE percentage. So if it was 75% then you would expect on average that around 75% of your available units would be able to fly missions (assuming they had spotters). If they are not available due to LVAE, they do not appear in the dialog, even thought they are 'available'. 

If an otherwise available unit is grounded for the turn due to LVAE, it would still be available next turn but once again be subject to the applicable LVAE %. So I given unit, even though it is available, cannot always fly.

Clear as mud I hope. If more info is needed there is a 75% chance I will be unavailable.

John
02-08-2022, 10:03 AM,
(02-08-2022, 09:19 AM)Green Wrote: It may be worth clarifying how Low Visibility Air Effects (LVAE) work, as this is probably where the confusion lies.

If the LVAE % (as defined in the PDT) for the current visibility level is below 100%, then each available air unit is checked separately against this percentage to see if it is actually available for the current turn.

If for example the visibility was 3 and the corresponding PDT % was 75%, then each available unit has a 25% chance of being grounded for that turn. Because of the random nature of this process you may be lucky and all available units will be able to fly or unlucky and none will. More probably you will get something roughly in line with the LVAE percentage. So if it was 75% then you would expect on average that around 75% of your available units would be able to fly missions (assuming they had spotters). If they are not available due to LVAE, they do not appear in the dialog, even thought they are 'available'. 

If an otherwise available unit is grounded for the turn due to LVAE, it would still be available next turn but once again be subject to the applicable LVAE %. So I given unit, even though it is available, cannot always fly.

Clear as mud I hope. If more info is needed there is a 75% I will be unavailable.

John
This does answer my question. Thank you! jonny