• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

hexside combat modifiers suggestion/discussion
01-28-2022, 08:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-29-2022, 09:06 PM by wololoh.)
Thumbs_Up  RE: hexside combat modifiers suggestion/discussion
(01-28-2022, 07:56 AM)krmiller Wrote: My apologies it appears I messed this up.
Discovered my previous test in a back up and it seems I remembered wrong, it was not a previous test on combat across streams, it was for melee across a bridge over a creek.  That Melee Modifier is not in the pdt and it did result in a 0 modifier for Fire since the creek pdt modifier was 0 and a -30 modifier for Melee for melee across a bridge.

As to my recent tests they were done in Gettysburg with the confederate standard pdt that has a stream combat modifier of 0.  And it appears I forgot to turn off the Quality Morale Modifier which was what caused the +10 modifiers for the defender in the melee test I ran resulting in my confusing report.

No problem krmiller, I know how it is with all these modifiers Wink . Indeed for attacking accross a creek bridge there is a separate modifier, as far as I know that one is working indeed!

Hahaha this thread is getting a bit more messy than I ever intended. So let me just try to re-iterate what I am talking about exactly, for anyone tripping over the conversation.

There exist PDT values for hexsides combat modifiers, and as far as I see they DO work exactly as described in the manual (so I see no bugs here).

However, one funny effect (mostly funny in the case of streams) is that these modifiers affect fire attacks and melee attacks in the same way. And when these modifiers are set to zero (as for streams in Gettysburg), the hexsides do not affect any combat at all (also not melee).
It is not a major gamebreaking issue or anything, I just wanted to discuss if it would be possible to get this separated for melee and fire attacks / what other peoples'  thoughts were on that.

(That said, as one other notable effect; If a creek hexside modifier is set, it is in most cases, ironically, purely a fire attack modifier. Because melee across creek is typically not possible...)
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2022, 09:18 AM,
RE: hexside combat modifiers suggestion/discussion
(01-28-2022, 07:48 AM)wololoh Wrote: That is not quite right. Hexsides DO affect melee in these games (if that is what you mean by ' assault' ), as long as the hexside has a nonzero modifier. This leads to the situation in ACW games:
- either streams have no effect on any combat (as in the post from krmiller, where the stream has no effects)
- or they do have effect - when a modifier is set -, but then they also affect fire attacks (which seems strange for shooting over a stream).

I see, yes melee is the equivalent of an assault in SB but it does seem to work differently then. Apologies for the confusion.
Quote this message in a reply