• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Campaign Series Vietnam - YouTube
07-27-2023, 03:34 PM,
RE: Campaign Series Vietnam - YouTube
We played through the end of the scenario working through the Jiradi Pass. That was a close one, darkness made a world of difference. It was an interesting scenario and the last 5 turns had me wondering if I was going to be able to move the division off the map. This gave me a lot of ideas for when I script the scenario and realized how challenging this would be against a human player. Fascinating indeed!

Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2023, 07:57 AM,
It is most interesting to play this scenario. Operating in the plantation and things seem to be going relatively smoothly when all of a sudden, well, they aren't. The losses haven't been too bad thus far, although the Australians have definitely taken the brunt of the casualties so far. You can see the differences between the Australian and US Airborne troops, especially in terms of movement in the jungle terrain. Let's just say I'm glad I have the firepower I do in this scenario, it's all about the firepower.

Send this user an email
08-07-2023, 08:14 AM,
We wrapped up Operation Crimp, which went fairly well. I cleaned up the map, mostly, although seemed to have missed some key Event Point items, including an elusive headquarters that I was struggling to destroy. After that, we started up a Dien Bien Phu scenario, the Loss of Beatrice. In this scenario I'm playing the Viet Minh and assaulting a well defended French position. Night is about to fall but I have managed to get a toehold in the position. Exciting times for the Viet Minh!

Send this user an email
08-14-2023, 10:35 AM,
If you like the French scenarios, this session was for you! We finished off Loss of Beatrice, which turned out to be pretty easy as I was already in the western part of the defences. Beatrice fell and there didn't appear to be a counter-attack, so it was ending turns until the end. Next we played Ninh Binh Attaque, which was a fantastic little battle and went right to the wire on turn 12. Absolutely fun and nerve racking. Then we started another French scenario called GM1 Counter where I am trying to recapture Ninh Binh. I spent the first few turns preparing for the assault that will be coming. Exciting times with lots of explanations!

Send this user an email
08-21-2023, 08:46 AM,
Another session with some French scenarios. I finished off GM Counter and then started up Operation Tulipe. Operation Tulipe seems to be an interesting scenario, I am up against a significant Viet Minh force as I am attempting to clear a highway while advancing from the north and south. It's a little larger than the other French scenarios I have been playing, which is a nice change - I do prefer the larger ones. There are lots of options for assaulting and maneuvering. While I am making good progress, some lessons were learned in assaulting a well defended town.

Send this user an email
08-25-2023, 12:33 AM,
Campaign Series Middle East: Talk about a blast! Figuratively and literally. There's a ton of violence, and the grind is slow, but it is a heck of a fun fight. The Israeli's are making progress in the east, taking over villages and clearing woods. There is exceptionally heavy fighting along the coast, as the Syrians and PLO troops seem to be making the stand along the coast. It is giving me a lot of interesting ideas on how I will be scripting these type of scenarios that are heavily focused on mechanized units.

Send this user an email
08-28-2023, 09:00 AM,
Campaign Series Vietnam: We wrapped up Operation Tulipe with great success. It went to the last turn though, so that was fun! Lots of small battles cumulating into the large affair. There are a lot of small unit tactics lessons in this video, as well as showing the importance of heavy weapon reliance for the French forces, much as we see later on when the US arrives in Vietnam. In that sense, it is good practice!

Send this user an email
09-12-2023, 02:26 PM,
Campaign Series Vietnam: Well then, here I go trying to do something fancy and it blows up in my face. Completely and horribly. Here are some good examples about how NOT to attack a well defended position, especially against regular NVA troops, with ARVN troops. I was thinking that my flanking move would save the ARVN some casualties instead of a frontal assault against some hills. Silly me.

Send this user an email
09-27-2023, 12:56 AM,
Day 2 of the Hill 50 series is much easier than Day 1. I'm not trying anything fancy this time and the attacks are going relatively smoothly. There are some great examples of how to assault defended positions, especially as the Marines have the advantage of firepower - as they should. I have received another ARVN parachute battalion as reinforcements, but with a low level defence, they really are paper tigers when facing NVA regulars, as we are here.

Send this user an email
10-02-2023, 09:04 AM,
Campaign Series Vietnam: I'm back after a month holiday and was streaming live today! We returned to Tightening the Noose and wrapped that up before we started with Operation Chopper, the first large use of American helicopters in the Vietnam theatre circa 1962. It's a fun little scenario with not enough heavy weapons and a lot of hide and seek with ARVN versus Viet Cong forces. I suspect this won't go well. HA!

Send this user an email