• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

2dUnits100 and 2dVehicles100 Editing.
12-16-2021, 04:54 PM,
2dUnits100 and 2dVehicles100 Editing.
I have experimented with changing Graphics in these 2 files across a few games in Squad Battles Series ( ES ,RV and Africa ) by using Gimp and copy/pasting from similar files or my own images. I have done this just by eye with my pasting and without the use of a grid or guide. The results suited me well enough but were not accurate ,some counters overlapped for example in game -but nothing too bad ,my results seemed good enough for my solo play.

I recently started doing similar for Campaign Series Middle East with the use of an aid ,"GridWithNumbers.png <- A Helper Layer" that Crossroads posted on Matrix Forum. It is basically a grid with numbers that correspond to the positions in the Units or Vehicle 2d100.bmps  .This really makes for accurate positioning of replacement graphics. I made a proxy of this for use in Squad Battles ,specifically for 2dUnits100 that seems Ok but is not quite long enough .I am thinking of making one for 2dVehicles100 as well ,but I am really using trial and error rescaling and I know my end result will not be long enough-since my initial template is made for a different game. I am only a beginner in using Gimp but in CSME for example I am becoming happy with my results and would like to try further with Squad Battles in the future-I find such editing and then watching the results in game to be satisfying.

Is there an aid for Squad Battles that I could download to do what I want?
Quote this message in a reply
12-16-2021, 04:58 PM,
RE: 2dUnits100 and 2dVehicles100 Editing.
I have another question also.
Is there a guide on reading .scn files that I can read?
I wanted to know how these files interact with the Graphics Files I was interested in editing.
12-16-2021, 05:14 PM,
I am not aware of any such tools, but no doubt Warhorse will be along later today and be a able to give a definitive answer.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
12-18-2021, 01:06 PM,
Hey Barly, The program breaks all the bmp files down into "cells" to portray them. Basically you take the pixels and divide by the number of images to get the grid.

Here are the grid sizes for Squad Battles, halve them for the 50 size on map ones.

Info
Units.bmp-108x94
Vehicles.bmp-260x120
Vehicle Wpns.bmp-38x130
Weapons.bmp-38x130
Guns.bmp-260x120
Hvy Weapons.bmp-179x110
Misc.bmp-108x110
Aircraft.bmp-260x120

Map

Guns 100-56x26
Vehicles 100-50x24
2DHvyWpns100-34x20
2DWeapons100-10x34
2D Units100-44x38
3D Vehicles-140x108
2d 100 Misc- 34x34
2d gully100-76x62
2d terrain100-76x62
2d sides 100-76x62

Most graphics programs like Paintshop Pro that I use have a grid function, this ensures they are centered correctly!

Let me know if you need any help, been doing graphics for about 30 years!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
12-18-2021, 05:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-18-2021, 05:38 PM by Sean.)
Thanks for all the Grid Sizes.

It seems Gimp does have a Show Grid Command in View Options, never knew it had one. It seems though the grid is 10 pixels square which is not accurate enough. And I don't think I can resize the grid in options. I have an Old Gimp 2.10.20 ,maybe the newer one has more options but I have yet to update since I thought it might confuse me on the functions I already understand.

(1)You don't use a boxed .png that has these grids preset (for me to use as a layer like I have in CSME?)
For example I looked at a few Squad Battles games ,and I came to this summary-

2dUnits100
5 rows wide
25 columns long
as standard
73 columns i think in WW2 Mod

and

2dVehicles100.bmp
4 rows wide
18 columns long for pacific war
53 columns not quite sure for eagles strike, lots of blank makes counting hard 200 wide by 1277 pixels long
In contrast about 190 columns in WW2 Mod.

It would be cool to have a 5 by 25 grid for 2dUnits100 (in exact pixel size)
and a 4 by 20(maybe 50) grid for 2dVehicles100 (in exact pixel size)

I wanted a graphical representation of these "Cells" that I can use as a layer (overlay) for my copy/paste editing.

(2)Also could you point me somewhere I can look to read about .scn structure ,ie what all the numbers mean in these files?
12-18-2021, 08:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-19-2021, 12:24 AM by Embis.)
Quote:(2)Also could you point me somewhere I can look to read about .scn structure ,ie what all the numbers mean in these files?

I investigated this a while ago and I am afraid I cant remember all the details. I was able to work out what most of the numbers meant. So I will tell you what I recall and how I investigated it and then if nobody can give you a more precise explanation you could explore it yourself. It takes a while and there isn't much value  in understanding it other than other than just satisfying your curiosity.

as far as I recall the basic format is:
  • 1st Line: I dont know!
  • 2nd line: the scenario name
  • 3rd line: Date  time & number of turns
  • Not sure what the lines 4,5,6,7 are
  • lines 8,9.10 are self explanatory
  • 11th Line  and onwards(after the PDT name) These lines identify (not necessarily in this order); the unit ID in the OOB, position on the map, and things like, level of disruption, ground status, strength, etc etc Dont ask me which number is which, with a bit of experimentation with the scenario editor you can work it all out.

The method for investigating is obvious and simple really, but very time consuming.
  • Make a very small oob, (maybe 3-4 units on each side) a small  map, and scenario.
  • open up the .scn .oob files in notepad
  • start the scenario in the game, (dont set fog of war)
  • compare units on the map to the array of numbers in the .scn and .oob  files,
  • make changes to the scenario with the editor and see how this changes the numbers

Eventually, given plenty of time, you will be able to crack the whole file structure.... but like I say; its time consuming and not of any real value as far as I can see...good luck, you have a long day in front of you! Read2
Napoleon I
12-18-2021, 09:02 PM,
(12-18-2021, 05:35 PM)Barly Wrote: (2)Also could you point me somewhere I can look to read about .scn structure ,ie what all the numbers mean in these files?

Hey Barly, all the numbers in the .scn file reflect the data that is directly edited with the scenario editor. There are no references to the units graphics. The only file that links the units with their pictures is the .oob.

Additionally, there is a Units.dat file which contains the nation info for each of the cells. This is used only by the .oob editor, as far as I know.

Hope that helps!
12-18-2021, 11:41 PM,
(12-18-2021, 05:35 PM)Barly Wrote: Thanks for all the Grid Sizes.

It seems Gimp does have a Show Grid Command in View Options, never knew it had one. It seems though the grid is 10 pixels square which is not accurate enough. And I don't think I can resize the grid in options. I have an Old Gimp 2.10.20 ,maybe the newer one has more options but I have yet to update since I thought it might confuse me on the functions I already understand.

(1)You don't use a boxed .png that has these grids preset (for me to use as a  layer like I have in CSME?)
For example I looked at a few Squad Battles  games ,and I came to this summary-

2dUnits100
5 rows wide
25 columns  long
as standard
73 columns i think in WW2 Mod

and

2dVehicles100.bmp
4 rows wide
18 columns long for pacific war
53 columns not quite sure for eagles strike, lots of blank makes counting hard 200 wide by 1277 pixels long
In contrast about 190 columns  in WW2 Mod.

It would be cool to have a 5 by 25                grid for 2dUnits100      (in exact pixel size)
and a                              4 by 20(maybe 50) grid for 2dVehicles100  (in exact pixel size)

I wanted a graphical representation of these "Cells"  that I can use as a layer (overlay) for my copy/paste editing.

(2)Also could you point me somewhere I can look to read about .scn structure ,ie what all the numbers mean in these files?
Hmm, been a long time since I used GIMP, but thought there was an option to change the grid, most do? The problem with NOT using the proper cells is that you will get misaligned graphics for sure because of the precise centering used, you can't extend past certain sides of the box as it were. Although the bmp files appear to be uniform, they can vary a lot like in my mod, but usually they are standard across, with various lengths as you surmised.
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
12-19-2021, 11:08 AM,
(1)I worked out it is possible to resize the grid in Gimp.
Under Edit ,Preferences ,Default Grid.
I did try in a new install using current version on a different older laptop.
Seems like it works.

(2)I will look further into the answers given about .scn files.
One answer did intrigue me though, is from Xerxes77 ,
"only file that links the units with their pictures is the .oob",
Is there an instructional Pdf that explains the .oob file?
(I do like instructional Pdfs)
12-19-2021, 03:43 PM,
(12-19-2021, 11:08 AM)Barly Wrote: One answer did intrigue me though, is from Xerxes77 ,
"only file that links the units with their pictures is the .oob",
Is there an instructional Pdf that explains the .oob file?
(I do like instructional Pdfs)

No, I am afraid there isn't an instructional pdf, but if you open up an oob in the editor and then open up the same file with a text editor and put them side by side you can soon start making sense of most of it.
Napoleon I