• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Campaign Game for AotR
12-08-2021, 10:56 PM,
Feedback Needed  Campaign Game for AotR
Hi All,
I am in the process of building a campaign game for AotR and have a scenario that I would like to play test and get some feedback, its a very small scenario, very few units, only 9 turns and can be played through in less than 10 minutes. If you can help me test this I would be very grateful.

..Once you have played it then it would be very helpful if you would review it with a very brief google forms questionnaire (link below). This is my preferred method of getting feedback because Its a nice and quick for yo and it gives me the information I want in an easy to read format.... its also anonymous! But feel free to just respond to this thread if you prefer.

The main character is a Soviet Partisan leader in Belarus in the summer of '41 just after the capture of Minsk. The scenarios will be typical of Partisan actions; ambushes, sabotage etc. Most of the scenarios will be quite short and with a small numbers of units. For the majority of the scenarios I envisage the successful withdrawal of the partisans from the action will be at least as important, and possibly more important, than the action itself. Getting the victory conditions to reflect this is probably going to be one of the more difficult aspects to get right. Hopefully with a bit of imaginative use of the scenario editor and using some of the less often used features in SB I can turn out some entertaining scenarios.

I haven't sought feedback for scenarios using this method before so this is a bit of an experiment to see what sort of response I get and how usable that will be. I am not releasing the full campaign yet, it isn't finished, but I will be asking for more play testers for the scenarios as they get closer to being complete. If this looks like its going to work then I will add further episodes (scenarios) for more playtesting and then eventually put them all together as a campaign for AotR.

Please note: the scenario is only playable as Russian Human v German AI, attempting to play it any other way wont be much fun.

You can download the scenario here 

and you can feedback to me here

Many thanks in advance for your help.

...and with the announcement of the WDS sale, maybe that's a good time to pick up AotR if you dont already have it! which of course has the added advantage of meaning you can try out Warhorses SPWW2 mod as well..so.. two games for less than the usual price of one!

...whats not to like?
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2021, 11:34 PM,
RE: Campaign Game for AotR
(12-08-2021, 10:56 PM)Embis Wrote: Hi All,
I am in the process of building a campaign game for AotR and have a scenario that I would like to play test and get some feedback, its a very small scenario, very few units, only 9 turns and can be played through in less than 10 minutes. If you can help me test this I would be very grateful.

Snip!

...and with the announcement of the WDS sale, maybe that's a good time to pick up AotR if you dont already have it! which of course has the added advantage of meaning you can try out Warhorses SPWW2 mod as well..so.. two games for less than the usual price of one!

...whats not to like?

Hey Embis,

Nice!! I don't own AotR unfortunately but I understand campaigns are not enabled for that particular title? Or maybe you mean a non-standard campaign, i.e., a string of scenarios that should be played in order?

(Incidentally, Warhorse's mod seems to work fine with Red Victory, which does include campaigns).
12-09-2021, 12:32 AM,
(12-08-2021, 11:34 PM)Xerxes77 Wrote:

Snip!

...whats not to like?

Hey Embis,

Nice!! I don't own AotR unfortunately but I understand campaigns are not enabled for that particular title? Or maybe you mean a non-standard campaign, i.e., a string of scenarios that should be played in order?

(Incidentally, Warhorse's mod seems to work fine with Red Victory, which does include campaigns).
Napoleon I
12-09-2021, 01:45 AM,
(12-09-2021, 12:32 AM)Embis Wrote:
(12-08-2021, 11:34 PM)Xerxes77 Wrote:

Snip!

...whats not to like?

Hey Embis,

Looks like the forum ate your reply Helmet Wink
12-09-2021, 02:48 AM,
Doh!
Thats what comes of trying to edit posts!!

..what I said was: 'AotR', 'Vietnam' and 'The Proud and the Few' are the three SB titles where campaigns are are not fully implemented.

I think Campaign games in SB get relatively little play and that's probably for several reasons; the campaign module is not properly documented so you have to fathom it out yourself and it is rather primitive in terms of its capability, You can only play a campaign that consists of scenario 1, scenario 2, to scenario N, and you can only play those scenarios in that order. You cant write a campaign that branches depending on the outcome of the previous scenario. I think the campaign systems in the Black powder, Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles and Modern Campaigns are a bit more sophisticated. I am hoping this might get some attention now we have 'new management'

Regarding Mods: I think you could probably use any of the mods in any of the titles couldn't you? The mechanics are the same its only the Modified files that are different.
Napoleon I
12-09-2021, 05:47 AM,
(12-09-2021, 02:48 AM)Embis Wrote: ..what I said was: 'AotR', 'Vietnam' and 'The Proud and the Few' are the three SB titles where campaigns are are not fully implemented.

I think Campaign games in SB get relatively little play and that's probably for several reasons; the campaign module is not properly documented so you have to fathom it out yourself and it is rather primitive in terms of its capability, You can only play a campaign that consists of scenario 1, scenario 2, to scenario N, and you can only play those scenarios in that order. You cant write a campaign that branches depending on the outcome of the previous scenario. I think the campaign systems in the Black powder, Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles and Modern Campaigns are a bit more sophisticated. I am hoping this might get some attention now we have 'new management'

Regarding Mods: I think you could probably use any of the mods in any of the titles couldn't you? The mechanics are the same its only the Modified files that are different.

Ah yes, that's my understanding as well. That's why I'm intrigued by your testing a campaign for AotR, which doesn't support campaigns out of the box - are you just creating the scenarios at this stage, while waiting for news from WDS?

Correct on the mods, I myself use SBWW2 on Red Victory! If Warhorse ever wants to create a campaign based on his mod, he can do it.
12-09-2021, 07:02 AM,
Yes, I am keeping my fingers crossed. If not then I might put in a bit more work and create a campaign with stand-alones and then come up with some mechanism for being able to play a branched campaign where decisions and results determine the sequence in which scenarios are played...Off the top of my head I am thinking of a flowchart that leads you through... but thats a fair way off and may never happen! So far I am only on scenario 2 and for a branched campaign I probably need a dozen or more scenarios.
Napoleon I
12-09-2021, 11:09 AM,
Hey Mark, go with this man, hoping they will eventually enable the campaigns in AoTR! I remember you and I tossing around some ideas awhile back, and yes the mod works in pretty much any of the WW2 titles, if you remove all the scenario's and oob's. I would love to have a campaign in AoTR eventually, something smaller, dealing with obscure actions, Axis Minor stuff and such.
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
12-13-2021, 07:04 PM,
Just to say thanks to all those who have already downloaded the scenario, tested it and and fed back. People seem to like the idea of being able to feedback anonymously, nobody has been too rude so far and its really helpful to me, so thanks again... please keep the playtests and feedback coming, four or five more and I think i will have enough to decide what, if anything needs to change. This is a really small scenario that will take you 5-10 mins to play through so please give it a look if you can.
Napoleon I
12-13-2021, 08:32 PM,
(12-13-2021, 07:04 PM)Embis Wrote: Just to say thanks to all those who have already downloaded the scenario, tested it and and fed back. People seem to like the idea of being able to feedback anonymously, nobody has been too rude so far and its really helpful to me, so thanks again... please keep the playtests and feedback coming, four or five more and I think i will have enough to decide what, if anything needs to change. This is a really small scenario that will take you 5-10 mins to play through so please give it a look if you can.
I gave feedback, just wanted to state here that it took very little time to play and was very enjoyable! Thanks Mark!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/