• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Shaders
11-21-2021, 02:29 PM,
Shaders
Is it possible to use a 3rd party Shader Application to make the graphics in the Squad Battles Games more interesting?
I use Reshade in most of my FPS games for example ,but when I tried to use it in Eagles Strike for example it did not work.
Has anyone got Reshade to work on the Squad Battles Series?

As an alternative question I have used a different shader called ENB Shader on a few games also. Again this did not seem to work.
Has anyone perhaps used another shader like CNC Draw or QEffect or any others for example with success on this series of games?

It may sound like a silly question but I have had a lot of fun in many of my other games merely tweaking the Shader I use for gnarly effects in game, and would like to try similar tweaking in my Squad Battles Games if possible.

What Graphics API do the Squad Series Games use?
Is it DX9 ,Direct Draw ,OpenGL or which one is it?
Knowing this may allow me to choose a different shader maybe that will work here.

I still like the existing graphics in the series as is by the way -just thought I could get some entertainment out of tweaking how it is presented on screen.
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2021, 05:59 AM,
RE: Shaders
(11-21-2021, 02:29 PM)Barly Wrote: What Graphics API do the Squad Series Games use?
Knowing this may allow me to choose a different shader maybe that will work here.

Actually it's virtually all GDI+ apart from a bit of DirectX for DirectPlay.
Wargame Design Studio Lead Programmer https://wargameds.com/
11-22-2021, 08:32 AM,
(11-22-2021, 05:59 AM)parmenio Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 02:29 PM)Barly Wrote: What Graphics API do the Squad Series Games use?

Actually it's virtually all GDI+ apart from a bit of DirectX for DirectPlay.

Which would hold true for all of the series.  It's basically just bmp files layered on one another. Up to 24 bit, but not able to use the transparency layer that would be found in 32 bit bmps (or 32 bit png files).

You can sorta do that, but have to account for where things layer, and pay attention to what shades (probably the specific hexidecimal code of the colours). 

Personally speaking I do most of my material in old Adobe Fireworks CS 5, and occasionally in Illustrator, and/or Photoshop.
Bydand
Send this user an email
11-22-2021, 11:43 AM,
Thanks for your answers.

Looks like what I wanted to do is not possible with these games. The shader application I wished to use is just a gameplay enhancement -not trying to modify any individual files alone.
It seems that if GDI+ is used then an Application similar to Reshade just won't work unfortunately.

Even tried adjusting values in Nvidia Control Panel ,got some onscreen differences but not much using sharpening and a few other settings. At present I will leave the game vanilla as is ,even less Nvidia Control Panel adjustment.
11-23-2021, 12:18 AM,
(11-22-2021, 08:32 AM)_72z Wrote: Which would hold true for all of the series.  It's basically just bmp files layered on one another. Up to 24 bit, but not able to use the transparency layer that would be found in 32 bit bmps (or 32 bit png files).

That's no longer 100% the case. Modern Air Power is now built on top of DirectX 11. PNG files are now supported in a number of areas and where they aren't it's because I haven't, as yet, got round to changing the code to check for both BMP and PNG files (for backwards compatibility).

In time, I hope to migrate DX11 support to other series as well.
11-23-2021, 08:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-23-2021, 08:14 AM by -72-.)
(11-23-2021, 12:18 AM)parmenio Wrote:
(11-22-2021, 08:32 AM)_72z Wrote: Which would hold true for all of the series.  It's basically just bmp files layered on one another. Up to 24 bit, but not able to use the transparency layer that would be found in 32 bit bmps (or 32 bit png files).

That's no longer 100% the case. Modern Air Power is now built on top of DirectX 11. PNG files are now supported in a number of areas and where they aren't it's because I haven't, as yet, got round to changing the code to check for both BMP and PNG files (for backwards compatibility).

In time, I hope to migrate DX11 support to other series as well.

Assuming you;'re saying that you're doing programming work with WDS; interesting... :) and looking at you're all posts file, I guess that must be the case.
I'll be more interested at what point it gets introduced to NB and MP engines (apologies for the bias). I know that there was some discussion around that area several years ago.
Bydand
Send this user an email
11-23-2021, 08:55 AM,
(11-23-2021, 08:06 AM)_72z Wrote: Assuming you;'re saying that you're doing programming work with WDS; interesting... :)  and looking at you're all posts file, I guess that must be the case.

Guilty as charged  Wink My signature states the series I work on.
11-23-2021, 07:15 PM,
(11-23-2021, 08:55 AM)parmenio Wrote:
(11-23-2021, 08:06 AM)_72z Wrote: Assuming you;'re saying that you're doing programming work with WDS; interesting... :)  and looking at you're all posts file, I guess that must be the case.

Guilty as charged  Wink My signature states the series I work on.

Lol- well that is what I get for being logged in - for whatever reason it never shows anyone's sig lines.
Bydand
Send this user an email
07-29-2023, 05:59 PM,
Revisiting this topic after a few years.

I think I found a solution.

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=76174