• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Rail bridges in Kiev '43?
10-24-2021, 06:22 AM,
Rail bridges in Kiev '43?
I've played several PzC campaign games now, and I thought that rail bridges were generally treated as heavy bridges (since they were built to carry heavy things like, you know, trains).  In Kiev '43 however, I've noticed that several rail bridges are light bridges and so can't carry any vehicles at all.  Is this WAD?  If so, is it based how the narrowness of the bridge rather than its carrying capacity?
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-2021, 05:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-24-2021, 05:47 PM by ComradeP.)
RE: Rail bridges in Kiev '43?
The change to rail bridges across hexsides being light instead of heavy was made fairly recently. I've seen light rail bridges in the updated version of France '40, Japan '45, Japan '46, Scheldt '44 and Kiev '43.

From the manual:

Quote:Light, Medium, and Heavy Bridges

There are three types of hex side bridges: Light, Medium, and Heavy.

Light Bridges represent simple footbridges and can only be used by foot infantry or units that are On Foot. Light Bridges may also be used to represent Railroad Bridges to reflect their poor ability to handle vehicular traffic.

Medium Bridges represent wooden bridges and can be used by infantry, cavalry, and non-armored vehicles.

Heavy Bridges represent metal bridges and can be used by all units.

In earlier titles, it was possible to simply use railroad bridges to move tanks and other armoured vehicles across rivers if only medium bridges were available elsewhere. The nature of a river as an obstacle for such types of movement when no suitable bridges are available wasn't represented well.

Full hex bridges are always Heavy.
10-25-2021, 02:38 AM,
Thanks, I hadn't seen that part of the updated manual. Probably a good change, but it is causing me fits in my current Kiev '43 campaign--nothing like heading a whole panzer division toward a particular railway bridge when--oops! Luckily I'm playing against myself.
10-25-2021, 04:22 AM,
Engineer Bridge values are still fairly high (though many bridge engineer units are company-sized, so they have a reduced chance).

One thing I like about Kiev '43 is that it rewards proper planning more than other titles as there are Heavy bridges across rivers for some secondary roads as well. It's no longer: Secondary road=Medium bridge, Primary road=Heavy bridge.
10-25-2021, 01:32 PM,
(10-25-2021, 04:22 AM)ComradeP Wrote: One thing I like about Kiev '43 is that it rewards proper planning more than other titles as there are Heavy bridges across rivers for some secondary roads as well. It's no longer: Secondary road=Medium bridge, Primary road=Heavy bridge.

Yeah, although I don't really like hunting and pecking around for heavy bridges...it would sure be nice if there were an option to highlight them better on the map (perhaps there is and I haven't found it).  Or a mod would work I guess.
10-25-2021, 11:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-25-2021, 11:08 PM by Plain Ian.)
(10-25-2021, 01:32 PM)76mm Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 04:22 AM)ComradeP Wrote: One thing I like about Kiev '43 is that it rewards proper planning more than other titles as there are Heavy bridges across rivers for some secondary roads as well. It's no longer: Secondary road=Medium bridge, Primary road=Heavy bridge.

Yeah, although I don't really like hunting and pecking around for heavy bridges...it would sure be nice if there were an option to highlight them better on the map (perhaps there is and I haven't found it).  Or a mod would work I guess.

A  mod is the best way to go. I used a nice mod for Bulge where its kinda critical knowing where all the heavy bridges are. It used colours which I modified. You might have to trial and error to find best colour combination. I found white for heavies to work well.

But that was for the old 2DFeatures100 map file. You would need to change the new zoom 200 map file.

Added: Heres the link to Dennis's mod. (dgk196) 

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=67507
10-26-2021, 05:18 AM,
(10-25-2021, 11:03 PM)Plain Ian Wrote:

A  mod is the best way to go. I used a nice mod for Bulge where its kinda critical knowing where all the heavy bridges are. It used colours which I modified. You might have to trial and error to find best colour combination. I found white for heavies to work well.

But that was for the old 2DFeatures100 map file. You would need to change the new zoom 200 map file.

That's a great idea! Inspired me to color some bridges   Smile

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=74992
10-27-2021, 06:51 AM,
(10-26-2021, 05:18 AM)Kilo Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 11:03 PM)Plain Ian Wrote:

That's a great idea! Inspired me to color some bridges   Smile

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=74992

That looks pretty good to me. White definitely is the best colour as it stands out well. I went with yellow for medium but green for light. 

The new 200 zoom level which replaces the old doubling of the 100 level is pretty sharp but I sometimes find it 'too sharp' for my old eyes for some reason so I'd probably have to add in more coloured pixels to the width.

Bulge has heavy bridges on secondary roads as well.

Ian in Dundee
10-28-2021, 01:54 AM,
Thanks for the links to mods...I need to install one of them because I've totally screwed some of my panzer divisions in the current campaign game...looks like they're just not getting across that river!