• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Old Unit Icons
10-24-2021, 02:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-24-2021, 04:24 AM by Fog of War.)
c_Question Mark  Old Unit Icons
Just re-bought bought Antietam.   Is there anyway to restore the old 2D unit icons ?  I just ( for me ) feel that the new tan icons don`t match the "feel" of the games I use to know.
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-2021, 06:30 AM,
RE: Old Unit Icons
Took a look at the old icons on my disc and I see a couple problems.
1.  The new games have 3 2D zoom levels, the old symbols files only have 2 so you would be missing one level of 2D zoom.
2.  There are some new symbols in the 2D symbols file that are not in the old files so you would be missing those.

You could attempt to copy the current symbols files and modify them using a graphics program such as paint.net.
The files that show the 2D unit icons are located in the Map folder.
2DSymbols100.bmp
2DSymbols50.bmp
2DSymbols25.bmp

If it's just the color you object to all you would need to do would be use the Color Changer tool to change that.
Then rename the current files 2DSymbols100_old etc so you could keep them and you could use your modified files.

The other thing I would suggest would be to save a copy somewhere because there is always the chance the files will be changed in another update.
10-24-2021, 09:23 AM,
Essentially it requires a mod.  As Mr Miller pointed out, too the main sticking point is going to be the new 100 size, although if you do find an old set, you cannot simply copy and paste, as when WDS re-worked these they renamed the old 50 and 100 size 2d graphics as 25 and 50 respectively (and the sizes [in pxels] of those files are different.

You can if you rename the file that you want to move over from 50 -to 25, and  from 100 to 50 - as those would be the same dimensions.

The newer native 2d super zoom in -called 100 - is essentially a doubling in size of the old '100 size file'... but you can't really just double the size of the file by expanding it - it will work, and I have done that but only when needing a new 'canvas' and then have to create stuff from scratch ... take that to mean I did one project where there was a new zoom in size but nothing to go by (unlike what the Civil War series would have).

In other series, there is programming in there to magnify and it would work if you took out that larger set, but that doesn't work in the Civil War Series (as I tried, and since it doesn't work, essentially I have to do up an entire set of graphics in that scale) ... personally I think JT's own coding idea was a better idea - keep the size dimensions for 50 and 100 the same, and just call the new size 200 ... but it is what it is.

Yeh ok I might own doing some work in the series (graphics mods) myself- so happened to be going through all of this recently -but that's another story ( and also the excuse for such a detailed answer).
Bydand
Send this user an email
10-26-2021, 07:25 AM,
Thank you guys, I have a better idea of what needs doing now.
Rich