• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Any strategy guide around ?
04-23-2021, 04:18 PM,
Any strategy guide around ?
Do you know if someone wrote a strategy guide for the JTS Napoleonic series ? I'm particularly interested in tricks on how to optimize Chain of Command and how to better handle the OOB which is sometimes a bit confusing ... 
Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2021, 06:17 AM,
RE: Any strategy guide around ?
Several things can help with command range and chain of command.  Get friendly with the buttons that show the following;
1. Leader on top
2. Highlight Org.

Then make use of the hot key "K" which displays the command range of a leader.

So you have a battalion that you are not sure who it belongs to and if it's in range.  First click the Leader on Top button (looks like a star) and then click on the unit in question and then select the Highlight Org button.  It will light up all the units and leaders in that same organization.  Then you can click on the leader and use the hot key "K" to see if that battalion falls in command range of it's leader.
04-24-2021, 03:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-24-2021, 04:09 PM by NicolasBourbaki.)
Thanks, this will help.

But chain of command information isn't the best part of the game ... They could do an effort to better display the whole chain of command. For example, I'm having troubles to find the leader of a detached unit.

And the leader of a leader, up to the top of the chain ...

And sometimes, for no apparent reason, pressing K won't work (I doubleclick a new leader but the range remains the same, centered on the previous selected leader).

Also I would like a better OOB information. The "show organization" dialog is poorly designed. For example it doesn't center on the units you select in the dialogue. I have to zoom out at max and try to see which units are highlighted ... And leaders names won't be displayed in the dialogue. ANd as long as the dialogue is opened, you can't zoom in the map and/or select a new unit ...

Well, I think the devs should do an effort in this very important part of the game. Maybe with more practice will I better manage all these but for now it's quite a headache.
04-24-2021, 04:19 PM,
Another point : leaders should be represented differently on the 2D map whether they are Head of Brigade, Head of Division, Head of Corp, etc.
08-22-2022, 10:15 AM,
In 2D mode the leaders now have a B, D, C lettering. You can pick a leader and hiit the O(o) key to display the units under that leader. You can hit the C© key to see the Command Range. Ditto for the D leader. Select him and O(o) key and see all the Brigades/Regiments/skirmisers/cannons in that Division; use the C© key for the command range. Same with the Corp Leader to see all Division and Brigade leaders, units, cannon, and wagons in that Corp.

You can also select any unit, or wagon, or cannon and use the O(o) key to see what units/Org they belong to, except the Corp cannon; they will light up the other Corp cannon group they belong to.

This helps to see who belongs to the Corp, or the Division or Brigade, or who the cannons/wagons belong to.

Division colors really suck in the 2D mode, 3D is fine to see who belongs with whom.
08-22-2022, 11:49 AM,
(04-24-2021, 03:59 PM)NicolasBourbaki Wrote: But chain of command information isn't the best part of the game ... They could do an effort to better display the whole chain of command. For example, I'm having troubles to find the leader of a detached unit.
And the leader of a leader, up to the top of the chain ...

(snip)

Also I would like a better OOB information. The "show organization" dialog is poorly designed. For example it doesn't center on the units you select in the dialogue. I have to zoom out at max and try to see which units are highlighted ... And leaders names won't be displayed in the dialogue. ANd as long as the dialogue is opened, you can't zoom in the map and/or select a new unit ...

Hear, hear. All of these are good observations, especially about the organization dialog. Having access to the full OOB in-game and auto-centering the view on the selection would be very helpful for navigating the chain of command.

The good news is that all these games are actively supported and each update brings a lot of enhancements and fixes. So there's a chance that at some point these aspects will be looked into.

Also, according to a recent post on the main site they're working on a new highlighting scheme for parent organizations that will be included in one of the upcoming patches.  Smile
09-27-2022, 03:42 AM,
If you are looking for some hints on Strategy, check out Strategy and Tactics by B H Liddel Hart. Though it really has more to do with Operations and Grand Strategy, he has a lot of pointers in there on dislocating your opponents psychology - and a lot of them DO work in wargames depending on the opponent.
09-27-2022, 11:39 PM,
(08-22-2022, 11:49 AM)Xerxes77 Wrote: The good news is that all these games are actively supported and each update brings a lot of enhancements and fixes. So there's a chance that at some point these aspects will be looked into.

Also, according to a recent post on the main site they're working on a new highlighting scheme for parent organizations that will be included in one of the upcoming patches.  Smile

v4.03 will include centering with 'Show Organization' and will hightlight all the higher leaders in a chain of command with 'Highlight Organization' in a different color.
09-28-2022, 12:20 AM,
(09-27-2022, 11:39 PM)LarkinVB Wrote:
(08-22-2022, 11:49 AM)Xerxes77 Wrote: The good news is that all these games are actively supported and each update brings a lot of enhancements and fixes. So there's a chance that at some point these aspects will be looked into.

v4.03 will include centering with 'Show Organization' and will hightlight all the higher leaders in a chain of command with 'Highlight Organization' in a different color.

Saw the thread in the official forum, that's fantastic, great work!
10-01-2022, 02:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-01-2022, 02:06 AM by rahamy.)
(04-24-2021, 04:19 PM)NicolasBourbaki Wrote: Another point : leaders should be represented differently on the 2D map whether they are Head of Brigade, Head of Division, Head of Corp, etc.

Most of what you are after is included in the 4.03 updates released today...you can read more in our latest post:

https://wargameds.com/blogs/news/4-03-updates