• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

1776 - 2nd attempt to understand the game
09-18-2021, 01:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-18-2021, 01:14 AM by Steel God.)
RE: 1776 - 2nd attempt to understand the game
Lots of replies (so much better than crickets) so rather than add half a dozen responses to the thread I'll try and just summarize a general reply here:

1)  Through some trial and error several of you have figured out that the modifier (for casualties) for enfiladed fire is being applied.  That's correct and if you go back to my original post on the thread I said I thought that was the case just not 100% sure because we were using FoW.  Unfortunately that's NOT what I'm trying to communicate.  What is missing is the ENFILADED flag on units that are fired on from enfilade while in column formation.  Failure to put that flag on the units is preventing the minus 2 morale hit and making them more resilient in melee than units in line formation.  That is the problem and is essentially a BUG in my opinion. 

2)  This isn't about Indians, I get the design idea there on why they have to melee in column, but they should suffer accordingly. 

3)  Whilst I appreciate suggestions about "house rules" and the like, it's not really an acceptable answer.  A customer buys a product and the expectation is it will work as designed.  If the rule book states units fired upon from an enfilade position get  flagged as such as suffer a minus 2 morale hit, then by God the game should play that way.  Not trying to be a dick about it, just saying that's a reasonable position.  But more to the point, the BUG is so bad that it allows players to use bad tactics and do better than anyone (even the designer I dare say) would have intended.

PS - Okay I went back and read my original post and I wasn't perhaps as clear as I was in the voices in my head. But in any event.....not talking about the fire modifier for enfilade, I'm talking about the enfilade flag that drops morale by 2 which is a critical missing component and directly contrary to the Manual.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1776 - 2nd attempt to understand the game - by Steel God - 09-18-2021, 01:11 AM