• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

John Tiller's Austerlitz game.
08-06-2021, 01:38 PM,
John Tiller's Austerlitz game.
The last Napoleonic game I bought from this designer-tree was the Battleground Russia computer game. I'm interested in the JT Austerlitz game and I'm hoping that folks here can tell me their opinions of its realism and so forth. 

I downloaded the demo for the Waterloo game and I noticed that there is only one kind of Column formation. There's no Road Column. There's no Column of Attack. Is this true also for Austerlitz?

Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2021, 08:45 PM,
RE: John Tiller's Austerlitz game.
(08-06-2021, 01:38 PM)Champagne Wrote: The last Napoleonic game I bought from this designer-tree was the Battleground Russia computer game. I'm interested in the JT Austerlitz game and I'm hoping that folks here can tell me their opinions of its realism and so forth. 

I downloaded the demo for the Waterloo game and I noticed that there is only one kind of Column formation. There's no Road Column. There's no Column of Attack. Is this true also for Austerlitz?

Thanks.

All the JTS games have that same format
08-19-2022, 02:41 PM,
Austerlitz is fun the first game or two; after that you will need to let it rest for quite a while until the opponents have forgotten most of the tricks. Of course if you play against new opponents who don't have the tactics of the terrain and troop movements down pat...................

It is a fun game though.

I have always found Borodino (La Bataille de le Moskova) fun in board games, and HPS versions.

I am finding the WDS version way too problematic for the French, as it seems the Rus are too too stubborn (even the rural Cossacks stand and don't rout against French Cav) and their guns are almost impossible to attack if he has 9-10 batteries next to each other.

Currently playing it, and currently studying the battle again. Love the Nappy games but I think they need some improvements. Such as disrupted attackers attack at 1/3 strength? Sorry, but the French even when disrupted drove the Rus back over and over again.

And quite frankly, even with rout limiting, far too many units rout and disrupt entire divisions moving up to attack. That applies to all the games in the series.
09-18-2022, 11:05 AM,
(08-06-2021, 01:38 PM)Champagne Wrote: The last Napoleonic game I bought from this designer-tree was the Battleground Russia computer game. I'm interested in the JT Austerlitz game and I'm hoping that folks here can tell me their opinions of its realism and so forth. 

Thanks.

Column is column.  It has a better road rate than units in line; that is how they are handling Road Colum.
09-20-2022, 07:07 PM,
(08-19-2022, 02:41 PM)tobruck41 Wrote: I have always found Borodino (La Bataille de le Moskova) fun in board games, and HPS versions.

I am finding the WDS version way too problematic for the French, as it seems the Rus are too too stubborn (even the rural Cossacks stand and don't rout against French Cav) and their guns are almost impossible to attack if he has 9-10 batteries next to each other. 

Perhaps try Borodino again with the soon to be released 4.03 patch.
There was a bug which resulted in reduced melee casualties for the defender which is fixed.
09-24-2022, 07:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-24-2022, 08:00 AM by Dion.)
Austerlitz has great big maps, plenty of room to maneuver. Historically, I bet Napoleon must have had a field day making flanking moves. Maps are big and look good. Not to mention the counters and all the other aspects of the game look good too. Though I haven't played all the games in the series, it must be one of the best. In-fact I haven't played any of the other games in the series, but I haven't found anything that sucks about this one.