• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

could the MIUS 43 Demo have been on of the greats!!
07-13-2021, 12:59 AM,
b_Exclamation Mark  could the MIUS 43 Demo have been on of the greats!!

.png   Karte_-_Offensivplanungen_der_Süd-_und_Südwestfront_1943.png (Size: 313.72 KB / Downloads: 41)

.jpg   30 July Counter offensive Mius.JPG (Size: 198.3 KB / Downloads: 48)

Hello

Just a quick thought!!

Could the Mius 43 demo have been one of the great PzC titles. It seems to have everything.

• Acceptable battle map area size
  • Soviet broad attack 
  • German counter attack and encirclement battles
  • Acceptable time frames and within battle map area.
(There also seems to be OOB units that are not used in the game?)

Every time I play Mius 43, I wonder if this would have been a great game to add to the campaign series.

I have attached two images

1. Shows the battle map area, including the out lines of the muis map & the Kharkov map to illustrate that it would have made a nominal size map. (And that not a lot of work would have been needed to create, if not created already.
  2. Show the German counter attack and encirclement which was a classic if you look it up. alongside the Title map which if made slighty larger would let you include that scenario in the demo.   
I think I have set up a pole (not sure how to do it!!) to ask the forum what their thoughts are.

Would Mius 43 have made a great PzC title. (yes or no?)..

Thanks
Have a great day.
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2021, 03:25 AM,
RE: could the MIUS 43 Demo have been on of the greats!!
That is a good point. It could have a lot more added to it to make a full game.
[Image: exercise.png]
07-13-2021, 08:45 AM,
(07-13-2021, 03:25 AM)Ricky B Wrote: That is a good point. It could have a lot more added to it to make a full game.

Fingers crossed it's on the to do list...
07-13-2021, 11:56 AM,
(07-13-2021, 08:45 AM)JAFFA Wrote:
(07-13-2021, 03:25 AM)Ricky B Wrote: That is a good point. It could have a lot more added to it to make a full game.

You never know what is in the pipeline...!!!  Helmet Wink Helmet Wink Helmet Wink
07-14-2021, 02:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-14-2021, 02:10 AM by rzhev42.)
Actually here is the background story.

Back around 2003 I started researching this for a game. Talking with John Tiller and Glenn Saunders at the time we thought about a series of East Front battles. Smaller battles that could be combined into a game and John was going to call them "East Front Campaigns 1" etc. So I started looking at this battle by John's suggestion and also the smaller action near Izyum, along the Donets, involving 1. PzA that took place at the same time. Put together a Mius OOB and completed the Mius map which John had started, but then put them aside to work on other projects (I think Rzhev and Stalingrad). So I never got back to that project as there was always something new to work on, (Minsk, Tunisia), and later saw that John was putting out just the Mius battle as a demo.

So to answer your question, this was supposed to be a full game that never saw the light and John used the map and the OOB to create the demo.

Michael
07-14-2021, 03:15 AM,
Thank you for the explanation, very informative and insightful.
So it was going to be a title!  it would have been great!

As it's a demo!  I would really like to have a crack at the German counter offensive scenario at the end of July as attached earlier. Can I be cheeky and ask if there is a slighty larger map lying around that I could use. LOL.....  Wink  Big Grin   Wink

If not, then with the teams blessing, I would like to try a Spring awakening 45 Large scenario, using the campaign map from Budapest encirclement scenario, as this map was never used by the team.

I think from the look of it and the research I have done, I can make it fit. Just.... Objectives being as History intended, secure oil fields and obtain bridge heads on the Danube.. EASY!!!

I was looking at a Smolensk 43 campaign scenario, using the existing smolensk 41 map as it fits perfectly. but I will pass, as this is possibly being considered.? as disscussed in an early tread.

Again thank you for the background story.

Keep up the great work.
07-13-2022, 10:17 PM,
(07-13-2021, 11:56 AM)Strela Wrote:
(07-13-2021, 08:45 AM)JAFFA Wrote:

You never know what is in the pipeline...!!!  Helmet Wink Helmet Wink Helmet Wink

Hello Strela.

I see from your post in the new wargame design studio forum (sun 10th July), that you may be looking for people to assist with developing titles / testing / ect.

[font="Lucida Grande", "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"If anyone reading this thread feels like they would like to be more deeply involved we would be happy to discuss as that has been the catalyst for a number of members of our current development teams."[/font]

[font="Lucida Grande", "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]We had a brief chat in the blitz forum last year regards Pz campaign titles and how I was working on a solo smolensk 43, and also how the mius demo could have been turned into a fully blown campaign title. Plus using WW1 title maps for WW2 campaigns.[/font]

[font="Lucida Grande", "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I was told by Ricky B the reasons behind Mius, and also that Smolensk was already being worked on. (No surprise what the possible next eastern front titles could be).[/font]

[font="Lucida Grande", "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]With this I would like to offer any assistance I can regards the development to the eastern front campaign series.[/font]

[font="Lucida Grande", "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]That being testing or creating army formations that can then be altered to suit the current title at a later date. [/font]
[font="Lucida Grande", "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]You mention having a bank of maps, do you also have a Bank of army formations ?[/font]
[font="Lucida Grande", "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]As it is fairly easy to create a formation OOB with the (on paper) numbers for men and machines. But it is another task to then find and read unit diaries to create the exact numbers for that moment in time..  Plus with the great selection of source material available it is quite fun to create. [/font]

Anyhow I seam to be ranting on a bit. 
My personnel information is that I am a 50 year old architect (close to retirement) with a passion for ww2 history focusing on the eastern from. 

If you guys would like any help, I would like to offer any assistance I can.

My email away from the forums is
[email protected]

Keep up the good work.