• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Those sexy 2D slopes...
07-01-2021, 08:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2021, 08:59 AM by Xerxes77.)
Those sexy 2D slopes...
... that every series seems to have EXCEPT Squad Battles...

Well that won't do! Below are a couple of experiments...

[Image: SB%20NO%20SLOPES.jpg]
Here we have a particularly hilly scenario from the SBWW2 mod... notice the many outlines with only a slight variation in color...

[Image: SB%20SLOPES.jpg]
And here's the "slopified" version. I like the fields...

This particular field-heavy Somosierra map can be hard to parse...
[Image: somosierra%20no%20slopes.jpg]

[Image: somosierra%20slopes.jpg]
I find this "slopified" version much easier to understand.

What do you guys think?
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2021, 02:17 PM,
RE: Those sexy 2D slopes...
I love them, I want them.
Send this user an email
07-01-2021, 04:37 PM,
The look good, I like them, it makes the maps much easier to read at a glance.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
07-01-2021, 11:15 PM,
Looks much, much better!
That's interesting because I always thought the 2D slopes were hard coded.
07-01-2021, 11:35 PM,
++1 Good looking slopes all around, nice work Xerxes77!! Wink
07-02-2021, 02:22 AM,
Thanks guys Wink 

(07-01-2021, 11:15 PM)bigus Wrote: That's interesting because I always thought the 2D slopes were hard coded.

Unfortunately, they are. This is just an experiment of mine, trying to find a visual workaround.

Essentially, I repurposed an existing hexside ("embankment") to create slopes. I then placed instances on the maps tracing the elevation contours (I automatized the process so that it takes a second instead of hundreds of clicks Propeller Hat ). It works quite well.

The main drawback is that we effectively lose the hexside being replaced. If we had a way to add a custom hexside to the game that would be enough, however I don't think it's currently possible to add new terrain features.
07-02-2021, 10:09 AM,
Yeah, wish we had that for sure!!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
07-03-2021, 09:40 AM,
Boy Jeff, your new slopes sure make a big difference.

Any chance on sharing them with us, when they are finalized?
07-03-2021, 02:56 PM,
Probably more accurate to say that the coding on where to point at is hard coded in the programming.

I think what your artist here is saying is that the elevation changes were edited in the map editor to be all embankments, and the embankment graphic was changed.

In order to make this work, then the embankment terrain effects if there would need to be removed -otherwise all of your elevation changes are also going to, technically, be embankment terrain.

Personally I would have added that to the engine; not showing the effects at all as a preference is a super easy mod - just layer in the background colour over the hexsides -and presto - they never show up ... so by not doing that.. it's actually less flexible for modders.
Bydand
Send this user an email
07-03-2021, 09:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-03-2021, 11:02 PM by Xerxes77.)
(07-03-2021, 09:40 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Boy Jeff, your new slopes sure make a big difference.

Any chance on sharing them with us, when they are finalized?

Of course! I will share it once I work out the last few kinks. But who's Jeff? Wink

Quote:I think what your artist here is saying is that the elevation changes were edited in the map editor to be all embankments, and the embankment graphic was changed.

In order to make this work, then the embankment terrain effects if there would need to be removed -otherwise all of your elevation changes are also going to, technically, be embankment terrain.

I wish I were an artist Smile 
But the rest, except for the part of using the map editor, is exactly right. Beauty has a price. This visual modification relies on a hexside replacement, i.e. the "slopes" replace embankments. To avoid elevations becoming embankments, they must be neutered in the PDT. So if a map relies heavily on embankments for other than cosmetic reasons, then it's probably not eligible for the mod.

I chose to replace embankments because a) it's one of the three hexsides with hardcoded "facing" (meaning the 3D effect can be implemented), b) it seems to be a relatively uncommon map feature, and c) it has the softest impact IMO in terms of gameplay compared to the other two ("Cliff" and "Escarpment").

Quote:Personally I would have added that to the engine; not showing the effects at all as a preference is a super easy mod - just layer in the background colour over the hexsides -and presto - they never show up ... so by not doing that.. it's actually less flexible for modders.

Sorry, not sure I got all of that... do you have access to the engine?

Another example... here's the slopified version of one of the more intricate scenarios in SCW. Republican troops attempt to take the hill atop which sits the sanctuary of "Our Lady of Cabeza". The elevation contours here are turned OFF, when ON the effect is even more accentuated.

[Image: La_cabeza.jpg]