• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Savegames as new scenarios...
06-27-2021, 10:50 PM,
RE: Savegames as new scenarios...
Hi and thanks for this. Ha! I didn't think of that---but yeah, I guess you have a point! :-)

I've bought all these JTS games in order to explore what can be done in single-player mode (as well as to learn some history). And so my idea was to create an operational-size scenario, add some unit reinforcements/fixes/releases, plus some AI plans & scripts, and let it play out. Then, at key points, save the scenario with a unique file name, change the .btl file to a .scn file, load it into the editor, and use it as the basis of a single-player scenario.

Well, seemed like a nice idea, but in practice the AI can't handle even basic stuff like marching along a road (it veered off a main road and sent a whole corps into a massive bog, while a division decided to ignore the advance order altogether and retreat), so I'm now wondering if the Napoleonic series is not really suited to operational-level scenarios. Maybe better sticking to smaller, stand-alone battles, in which AI just sits on a hill and waits to get annihilated?

Having said that, I guess converting .btl files to .scn files will work in all JTS series, so I might have an easier time with the Squad Battles or Panzer Campaigns series.

Basically, my thinking behind converting .btl to .scn files was to generate scenario situations that I wouldn't necessarily have thought of from scratch.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Savegames as new scenarios... - by neonlicht - 06-26-2021, 09:17 PM
RE: Savegames as new scenarios... - by -72- - 06-27-2021, 09:15 AM
RE: Savegames as new scenarios... - by neonlicht - 06-27-2021, 10:50 PM
RE: Savegames as new scenarios... - by krmiller - 06-27-2021, 11:44 PM
RE: Savegames as new scenarios... - by neonlicht - 06-28-2021, 12:07 AM