• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

JTS Reporter
06-12-2021, 02:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-19-2021, 02:59 AM by zaxhutchinson.)
JTS Reporter
Current Version: 0.03

RECOMMENDED INSTALL:

Download the zip to your save game directory containing the .btl files.
Copy the relevant .oob file into this directory.
Unzip the jtsreporter.zip.
Move into the jtsreporter directory.
Set the side you want to see in the .ini (defaults to allies)
Run the .exe

By default the .exe looks in the directory containing the jtsreporter directory. However, you can set this to look anywhere in your filesystem. If you have multiple games going on, you can use one copy of the reporter and manually point the save_dir entry in the ini file with each use.

I have a little project going called the JTS Reporter. Right now it's very barebones. In my current game I wanted to be able to view the strength and fatigue levels of formations, but only include units which are in play. The larger goal is to make something that can do data visualization of ongoing JTS games. I have only tested it for PzC titles. It might work with other JTS series. I'm not sure how similar the save game files are.

JTS Reporter Github repo

Currently, the reporter just shows a formation's on-map strength and fatigue percentages. In other words, only units which are in play are included in the calculations.

The strength percentage is a unit's current equipment (men/tanks) divided by its max equipment. This is calculated and averaged for all units in a formation which are currently in play.

Fatigue is similar. It is calculated by taking a unit's current fatigue and dividing by the max of 300. Higher equals more fatigue.

It does not take into account reinforcements which are due to show up. The tree list in the left pane allows you to drill down to see the stats of sub-formations and sub-units. And while air groups are listed, their strength/fatigue numbers do not populate. This is because their info is stored on different lines than on-map units. The 'map' tab is empty.

I'm sharing this very early version just to spark ideas. Post comments, bugs or thoughts. I have a list of things I want to add, but I'm sure it's lacking. A big reason for this project is to get me to practice doing data viz with Python. I tend to play the big scenarios over long periods of time so I want to make something that can show historical data. I tend to make a save per turn. At some point I'll post a more fleshed out idea.

FYI: The reporter blindly loads up data for all formations from both sides. This is due to the way JTS games store unit data and links units to sides. Eventually, the program will prompt the user for the side they want to view, but for now, it's all there. If you don't want to know what the other side is doing, don't click on their formations. It might work for pbem save files. I have tested hotseat/single player files.

EDIT: Not sure why the link is written in a small font.
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2021, 02:25 AM,
RE: JTS Reporter
Sounds interesting, but I’d not use it in PBEM since you can see both sides.
06-12-2021, 03:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-13-2021, 04:06 AM by Plain Ian.)
Ok I'm game to try this.

So I need to download Python. I'm running Windows 7 and have 64 bit  (mmmh yep I know should upgrade) so I guess I need Python 3.8.10 and not the latest version 3.9.5.

One quick question.

Whats the difference between the two options available? Which one should I use?
Ian

Edit: 12/6 - 3.8.10 not Window 7 compatible. 3.8.9 is.
06-12-2021, 04:31 AM,
(06-12-2021, 02:08 AM)zaxhutchinson Wrote: I have a little project going called the JTS Reporter. Right now it's very barebones. In my current game I wanted to be able to view the strength and fatigue levels of formations, but only include units which are in play. The larger goal is to make something that can do data visualization of ongoing JTS games. I have only tested it for PzC titles. It might work with other JTS series. I'm not sure how similar the save game files are.

Interesting! I'm working on similar tools for the Squad Battles games, which don't t even have a turn report and some of the bigger scenarios could use something like this.

I started with Python, but the .exe generated by Py2exe triggered Windows Defender every time. As my goal is to be able to distribute a w32-only small executable file with no other requirements or dependencies, I eventually switched to Lazarus (Pascal).

I'll check out your project.
06-12-2021, 04:57 AM,
(06-12-2021, 03:00 AM)Plain Ian Wrote: Ok I'm game to try this.

So I need to download Python. I'm running Windows 7 and have 64 bit  (mmmh yep I know should upgrade) so I guess I need Python 3.8.10 and not the latest version 3.9.5.

One quick question.

Whats the difference between the two options available? Which one should I use?
Ian

The second one. Windows installer. There's a checkbox during the install process (or at least used to be...maybe it's default now) to add it to the path. Makes things easier if you add it.

Any version of Python3 should do so long as it's not too old.
06-12-2021, 05:07 AM,
(06-12-2021, 04:31 AM)Xerxes77 Wrote:
(06-12-2021, 02:08 AM)zaxhutchinson Wrote: I have a little project going called the JTS Reporter. Right now it's very barebones. In my current game I wanted to be able to view the strength and fatigue levels of formations, but only include units which are in play. The larger goal is to make something that can do data visualization of ongoing JTS games. I have only tested it for PzC titles. It might work with other JTS series. I'm not sure how similar the save game files are.

Interesting! I'm working on similar tools for the Squad Battles games, which don't t even have a turn report and some of the bigger scenarios could use something like this.

I started with Python, but the .exe generated by Py2exe triggered Windows Defender every time. As my goal is to be able to distribute a w32-only small executable file with no other requirements or dependencies, I eventually switched to Lazarus (Pascal).

I'll check out your project.

Cool. I don't own any squad battles games, but from a few Let's Plays I've watched, I'm guessing the save file format would be different given the equipment aspect. But I suspect some of the other campaign titles might work with my project (Civil War, Panzer Battles, etc). Haven't tried.

Yeah, making executables with Python is always a chore. Keeping things dependency free is important, but I'll probably break that rule when I starting adding graphs, etc. Up until recently I played all JTS games on linux through wine, so I wanted something cross platform in case I go back to that. And Python makes reading and chopping up text files so easy. :) If this gets beyond a personal pet project I'll start bundling things.
06-13-2021, 02:15 AM,
Version 0.01

Adds historical loss data and restricts the program so that it only shows either Axis or Allied data at a time (.ini file setting).

I attached several screenshots below using saves from the first 13 turns of a N44 game as the Allies so you can see the current state. JTS Reporter is set to show only Allied data (need to put in a label that shows which side is displayed). With a keen eye you'll see files 005 and 006 are both from turn 6. I must have goofed up my saves at that point. And I'm missing a save from T4.

Scenario level information tab. Currently displays only scenario name and the historical loss data.

.png   v0.01_sceninfo.png (Size: 48.81 KB / Downloads: 41)

Unit level information tab showing the 101st AB's 501 PIR.

.png   v0.01_unitinfo.png (Size: 52.09 KB / Downloads: 32)
06-13-2021, 03:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-13-2021, 03:47 AM by Indragnir.)
(06-13-2021, 02:15 AM)zaxhutchinson Wrote: Version 0.01

Adds historical loss data and restricts the program so that it only shows either Axis or Allied data at a time (.ini file setting).

I attached several screenshots below using saves from the first 13 turns of a N44 game as the Allies so you can see the current state. JTS Reporter is set to show only Allied data (need to put in a label that shows which side is displayed). With a keen eye you'll see files 005 and 006 are both from turn 6. I must have goofed up my saves at that point. And I'm missing a save from T4.

Scenario level information tab. Currently displays only scenario name and the historical loss data.

Unit level information tab showing the 101st AB's 501 PIR.

Hi, this is great! I will use it for sure once you think it's done.
06-13-2021, 04:10 AM,
(06-12-2021, 02:25 AM)larsonney Wrote: Sounds interesting, but I’d not use it in PBEM since you can see both sides.

I think its only .btl files that are read not .bte PBEM files?
06-13-2021, 06:19 AM,
Correct. Out of the box, it doesn't even look for .bte files. If I'm not mistaken their format is similar. If they are very similar, I'll add support for them.