• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PzC Unit Box and Leader Mod – Version 2
07-09-2021, 06:43 AM,
RE: PzC Unit Box and Leader Mod – Version 2
Just downloaded Normandy and Bulge. Much appreciated John.

Ian in Dundee
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2021, 01:33 PM,
(07-09-2021, 06:43 AM)Plain Ian Wrote: Just downloaded Normandy and Bulge. Much appreciated John.

Ian in Dundee

Cheers, Ian. I know Bulge is a favourite of yours so I made a special effort with that one! Wink
07-23-2021, 03:03 PM,
Pacific

Mods for both Pacific titles added to the downloads.

There are no leader portraits but I made some extremely minor changes to the ship art which I have made available to download.

Also, in an attempt to better differentiate highlighted unit boxes, I have made the border a bit brighter. It is not perfect but I think it is an improvement. Here is an example.

[Image: Highlight.jpg]

I plan to make this the standard and add this change to the Mods already done, unless there are objections.
07-23-2021, 04:48 PM,
(07-23-2021, 03:03 PM)Green Wrote: Pacific

Mods for both Pacific titles added to the downloads.

There are no leader portraits but I made some extremely minor changes to the ship art which I have made available to download.

Also, in an attempt to better differentiate highlighted unit boxes, I have made the border a bit brighter. It is not perfect but I think it is an improvement. Here is an example.

[Image: Highlight.jpg]

I plan to make this the standard and add this change to the Mods already done, unless there are objections.

Thanks John......and the new border is sure user friendly.......Good idea!  Thanks
07-24-2021, 08:50 AM,
(07-11-2021, 01:33 PM)Green Wrote:
(07-09-2021, 06:43 AM)Plain Ian Wrote: Just downloaded Normandy and Bulge. Much appreciated John.

Ian in Dundee

Cheers, Ian. I know Bulge is a favourite of yours so I made a special effort with that one! Wink

Yes I do like Bulge but I might be jumping to Normandy (pun not intended) for any future matches, not that I play much these days.

I've grown a bit disillusioned with Bulge. 

The OOB has been improved in certain mods and yes bits of the map have been changed since the game saw the light back in 2001. However I still think that the map needs a bit more attention.

I think that village place names and the road network needs to revisited. I find it difficult sometimes to reconcile the PzC map with historical maps and up to date board game maps. (eg GMT's Battalion level game "A Time for Trumpets" which is set at 1 mile per hex)

No criticism intended here as the game is fun to play and does hit the historical sweet spot which PzC player enjoy, even for pedants like me. How many things which are 20 years old can you say that about???
07-25-2021, 10:01 AM,
Yes, Ian, I totally agree that it would great to see revised versions of some of these older games. The problem is that changes to maps, OOB's, scenarios, etc would be a massive job. And given the long standing tradition of free updates, there would be no way to recover any costs. So it sounds unlikely to me and I am not sure there is any easy way around this. Having said that, I have a long standing tradition of being wrong with my future predictions, so who knows...

John
07-25-2021, 05:10 PM,
(07-24-2021, 08:50 AM)Plain Ian Wrote:

Ian in Dundee

Yes I do like Bulge but I might be jumping to Normandy (pun not intended) for any future matches, not that I play much these days.

The OOB has been improved in certain mods and yes bits of the map have been changed since the game saw the light back in 2001. However I still think that the map needs a bit more attention.

I think that village place names and the road network needs to revisited. I find it difficult sometimes to reconcile the PzC map with historical maps and up to date board game maps. (eg GMT's Battalion level game "A Time for Trumpets" which is set at 1 mile per hex)

No criticism intended here as the game is fun to play and does hit the historical sweet spot which PzC player enjoy, even for pedants like me. How many things which are 20 years old can you say that about???

I plan a Bulge mod. I'm going to use F'40 new map. Do you think that new map is historical enough? it looks to me but I have not dive deep enough into the game yet
07-25-2021, 11:53 PM,
(07-25-2021, 05:10 PM)Indragnir Wrote:
(07-24-2021, 08:50 AM)Plain Ian Wrote:

Ian in Dundee

I plan a Bulge mod. I'm going to use F'40 new map. Do you think that new map is historical enough? it looks to me but I have not dive deep enough into the game yet

I've experimented with the same idea (F40 map for Bulge) and I do believe the map is good enough. When I was experimenting, I edited the map so that Antwerp was present,and enough of the Netherlands so that British 21 AG, US Ninth Army, and German 15th and 1st FJ Army would all be on map. There is a problem in that only 1940 can be used as the year when setting dates. Any of the existing Bulge OOBs and unit graphic sets will work or new ones can of course be created. You probably know all of this anyway.

I wish you good luck with your idea, and hope you carry it further than I did. We really do need a new Bulge title with a larger and better map, along with improved OOBs.
"If you want to know a man's true character, give him some power." - Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
08-05-2021, 11:38 PM,
(07-25-2021, 11:53 PM)2-81 Armor Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 05:10 PM)Indragnir Wrote: I plan a Bulge mod. I'm going to use F'40 new map. Do you think that new map is historical enough? it looks to me but I have not dive deep enough into the game yet

I've experimented with the same idea (F40 map for Bulge) and I do believe the map is good enough. When I was experimenting, I edited the map so that Antwerp was present,and enough of the Netherlands so that British 21 AG, US Ninth Army, and German 15th and 1st FJ Army would all be on map. There is a problem in that only 1940 can be used as the year when setting dates. Any of the existing Bulge OOBs and unit graphic sets will work or new ones can of course be created. You probably know all of this anyway.

I wish you good luck with your idea, and hope you carry it further than I did. We really do need a new Bulge title with a larger and better map, along with improved OOBs.

I'm aware, however David did his magic and the map can work under B'44.
It won't encompass British 21 AG, US Ninth Army, and German 15th and 1st FJ Army definitely.
Slightly larger map than the B'44 original one (Hürtgenwald, Liêge plains and west of Namur)
08-08-2021, 07:06 AM,
(08-05-2021, 11:38 PM)Indragnir Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 11:53 PM)2-81 Armor Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 05:10 PM)Indragnir Wrote: I plan a Bulge mod. I'm going to use F'40 new map. Do you think that new map is historical enough? it looks to me but I have not dive deep enough into the game yet

I'm aware, however David did his magic and the map can work under B'44.
It won't encompass British 21 AG, US Ninth Army, and German 15th and 1st FJ Army definitely.
Slightly larger map than the B'44 original one (Hürtgenwald, Liêge plains and west of Namur)

I thought Brian Jennings map for Herbstnebel was enough to show the battle. Possibly if it went further south and allowed Luxemburg city to appear on the map would be nice to give the US player a bit more flexibility to bring his reinforcements on to the map? Might be enough to show all of the 4th Division?

[Image: 2021-08-07_20h55_59.png]

The front line in the map above might be a bit rough but its just to give an idea of where it was.

The OOB for the game I guess depends on the players. If they want an easy and quick game I think the standard alt game makes a decent attempt using Bulge '44_Alt7-McNamara.oob. 
Brian Jennings oob Wacht am Rhein (Herbstnebel).oob is more detailed and is tailored for his campaign game.

The bit I'm interested in is showing the actual terrain and road network possibly a bit better? PzC has 3 types of roads. Primary/Secondary/Trail. I see Trails in eastern front titles which I understand. I've read enough abough Barbarossa to know how bad the Russian road network was.

I don't see Trails in Bulge? When I look at iconic pictures of the Bulge  I see King Tigers negotiating 'roads' which I would call woodland/forest paths? These look like Trails?

Now I thought a PzC Trail was a 'path' which allowed Foot units to move a bit quicker? But when I look at the pdt file I see that motorised units can use Trails almost as easy as Secondary roads? Mmmh?

I'm guessing the original map makers decided not to show every 'path/trail' on the map and they possibly showed woodland trails as secondary just to keep things simple? I don't know? 

All that I know is that is that when I look at the Bulge map I don't get the feel I'm in the Ardennes....

Sorry for havering....