• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

No more "Roaming Mode"?
05-18-2021, 05:09 PM,
c_Question Mark  No more "Roaming Mode"?
I use this quite a lot to rapidly inspect a map but I suspect I'm in a minority which is why it no longer seems to be present. From the manual (cwb.pdf):

Roaming Mode enables you to view several locations on the map without having to click the mouse on each one.
To start Roaming Mode, type Z. Thereafter, the Hot Spot will follow the mouse
as you move it over the map. To leave Roaming Mode, click on any hex.

As you can see it used to be in Civil War Battles but now the Z key is mapped to Brigade Colours. It still is in the Napoleonic series (or least the ones I have).

My attempts to put it back in have been to no avail. Every JTS executable seems to have what is called a "Accelerator Table". This allows the mapping of Keyboard shortcuts to a Command ID - the same Command ID can be attached to Menu items and Toolbar buttons (simplifies the handling of User Interaction). From the Waterloo Exe:

Code:
VK_X, 1503, VIRTKEY
VK_Z, 1505, VIRTKEY
VK_NEXT, 303, VIRTKEY

Command ID 1505 was the thing. In Campaign Antietam I attempted to map it to the "+" Numpad key (unused as far as I can tell)

Code:
VK_SUBTRACT, 806, VIRTKEY
VK_ADD, 1505, VIRTKEY
VK_NEXT, 303, VIRTKEY

I now have the "+" mapped to something which toggles "Continuous Mode" on and off   Dont Know ... whatever that is.
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2021, 10:19 PM,
RE: No more "Roaming Mode"?
Still don't know what "Continuous Mode" is (I've emailed asking about that) but I managed to accidentally turn "Roaming Mode" on this morning by getting confused as which keyboard was connected to which computer in front of me. Replying to an email became issuing various commands to 2nd Bull Run and then having no idea how I'd done it.

It turns out (after going through keys one at a time) that unsurprisingly it's "r" for "Roaming".
It's also Command ID 1506 rather than 1505.... so near and yet so far....
05-25-2021, 11:43 PM,
The updated ACW Hotkeys are noted in the updated 2020 Manuals, they show R as hotkey for Roaming Mode, you can get them from JTS Updates section.
https://johntillersoftware.com/Updates.html

As to Continuous Mode it is not listed in the Settings Menu of the ACW game, I don't believe I've come across it in my years playing the ACW games.
In the PzC game it is in the Setting Menu and the User manual for it states
"The Continuous Action of the Settings Menu can be used to avoid having to click on each report dialog associated with firing andassaulting."

In both games the On Map setting removes the report dialog, shows the results of combat and you can then move or fire your next unit without the need to click ok.
In Continuous Mode in PzC you can leave On Map off and you will see the report dialog for a brief time and it will disappear on it's own without having to click OK.

Both games share some of the same code so I'm guessing you somehow mapped your hotkey to Continuous Mode.
I'm not sure why Continuous Mode is not listed in the Setting Menu in the ACW games if it shows up for you in the ACW game.
05-26-2021, 03:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-26-2021, 03:07 AM by parmenio.)
(05-25-2021, 11:43 PM)krmiller Wrote: The updated ACW Hotkeys are noted in the updated 2020 Manuals, they show R as hotkey for Roaming Mode, you can get them from JTS Updates section.
https://johntillersoftware.com/Updates.html

Ah yes.... it appears I downloaded CWB_Docs, extracted the files and then failed to do that last crucial bit.... copying them into the manuals folder..... probably explains why some of the optional rules explanations were missing as well Helmet Rolleyes
05-26-2021, 03:07 AM,
(05-25-2021, 11:43 PM)krmiller Wrote: As to Continuous Mode it is not listed in the Settings Menu of the ACW game, I don't believe I've come across it in my years playing the ACW games.
In the PzC game it is in the Setting Menu and the User manual for it states
"The Continuous Action of the Settings Menu can be used to avoid having to click on each report dialog associated with firing andassaulting."

In both games the On Map setting removes the report dialog, shows the results of combat and you can then move or fire your next unit without the need to click ok.
In Continuous Mode in PzC you can leave On Map off and you will see the report dialog for a brief time and it will disappear on it's own without having to click OK.

Both games share some of the same code so I'm guessing you somehow mapped your hotkey to Continuous Mode.
I'm not sure why Continuous Mode is not listed in the Setting Menu in the ACW games if it shows up for you in the ACW game.

At least I know what it is now  Wink