• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Best played as ...
05-07-2021, 03:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-07-2021, 03:36 PM by NicolasBourbaki.)
Best played as ...
Hi, in RBOTR (and probably in other games too) can someone explain why some scenarios are "intented to be played as" Allied or as French ? 

And why some other scenarios are supposed to be HTH only ? What if I play a HTH in solo ?

Does it means the AI is scripted, ie. not a true AI ?

For example, I would like to play Valmy as French but all scenarios are either for HTH or "intented to be played as Allied". 
And in the solo scenario, all FR units are fixed in the early battle. Not sure if they unblock later ...

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2021, 05:53 PM,
RE: Best played as ...
The Best Played against the AI scenarios are balanced differently to the Head To Head ones. The script at the start tells you which side to play against the AI. Different scripting; more units for the AI. That sort of thing.
05-07-2021, 07:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-07-2021, 07:47 PM by phoenix.)
Sometimes no script at all for the AI if you choose to play the opposite side to that recommended.

The AI is terrible though, even when scripted, even when the scenario designer has really made an outstanding effort to make the best of it. You should play hotseat against yourself, maybe, to enjoy Valmy as French (and Allied). I played a lot against the AI in the past before deciding I was wasting time. I know it's been said many times, but PBEM is best and very easy to arrange in here, and no one cares how good or bad you are, and everyone is helpful and will even give you tips during play, if you ask, and most will even play you without worrying about it going on a ladder, if that bothers you. Also, usually you can find a game against someone roughly at your level. At least, that's been my experience.
05-07-2021, 10:30 PM,
Well said!
05-08-2021, 01:36 AM,
I'm playing solo because these days it's difficult for me to commit myself to long term PBEM :-(
I can't guaranty I won't be forced to stop the game :-(

Playing HTH against oneself has the problem of revealing FOW. Especially in Valmy with heavy fog at the beginning of the battle ...

So I decided to play Valmy solo as Allied, as suggested by the scenario creator.
All my units are fixed except one division/corp (about 20 counters).
And suddenly, at turn 10/11 all these units suddenly became fixed while another division has un-fixed. The problem is that the division/corp that became fixed was not in combat position but still moving along the roads. So they are now easy preys for the French ...
05-08-2021, 03:14 PM,
There are a few reasons where a given scenario might be listed as being for one side or the other.

One thing is that some scenarios are not always especially interesting from both sides. Even if you juggle Victory Conditions as much as you like, sometimes a scenario is so one sided that it just doesn't hold interest. Generally, if I've listed a scenario in this way, that's the reason.

As others have started, the AI is a limit as well. I'll admit, the AI in all of the games can be frustrating, and sometimes, the scenario designer just has to say "it will go better for you if you play one side or the other." (Usually the attacker).
Scenario Designer JTS Midway JTS Seven Years War JTS Wolfpack WDS Kriegsmarine
05-09-2021, 04:31 AM,
Thanks for these precisions.

And what about the fact that after 10 turns in Valmy as Allies all unit from the first division allowed to move become suddenly fixed ? This is quite frustrating as I didn't have time to put them in position where I planned and now they are just useless ... I guess this is scripted but can't understand the rational.
05-09-2021, 06:17 AM,
I've never messed with RBR, but the indecision of the Prussian Command in that battle is legendary, and I'd expect that is meant to reflect that.
Scenario Designer JTS Midway JTS Seven Years War JTS Wolfpack WDS Kriegsmarine
05-09-2021, 08:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-09-2021, 08:59 PM by phoenix.)
I think Sgt Rock - the designer - explains that in the scenario briefing, no? You should certainly read the briefings, if you don't want to be surprised by such things.
05-10-2021, 05:26 AM,
Well, not really ... doesn't clearly say that unit will freeze at turn 10.
or is it somewhere else ?

Quote:They then marched west towards Valmy and halted on September 19 east of the village on
a series of ridges. The next day the French forces took up positions on the ridges to
the north and west of Valmy with part of the Armée du Nord in reserve. The battle
was really more of a bombardment by both sides. The French had surperior artillery
quality and some of the Prussian guns were put out of action. The Prussian followed
up with a weak advance but the losses from the French artillery halted the attack. The
Duke of Brunswick was very hesitant to commit his army to a battle. All of this led to
the Prussians halting their assault for the day and retreating to the north on the next
day followed by a retreat to the east.

Should probably pich a a-historical scenario to get more freedom in my tactics ...