• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Plea for tactical help
05-06-2021, 06:52 AM,
Help  Plea for tactical help
Hi Guys,

I'm a long time wargamer who has tried on multiple occasions to get into Squad and Panzer Battles. I really, really want to get into the games, but there is an issue. I am truly terrible.

I understand military theory, but there is clearly something that I am missing in order to be able to semi-competently play the games, and therefore improve to the point that I can enjoy the games.

My main issue is getting nowhere within the time limits of the scenario. What my plan is when starting a new scenario:

1. Identify the objectives and a generally covered route for an infantry attack to that objective.

2. using the "S" key, send a few units to scout the route and identify enemy formations.

3. When enemy formations are identified, use "S" on that unit to see locations where I can emplace heavy weapons to engage the unit, preferably outside of their key range.

4. Use those heavy weapons to pin the enemy, before moving my infantry up to take that position via an assault.

By the time that has happened however, the 10/12 turns are up and I have made no progress on the objectives.

Does anyone have any advice for this situation? If anyone is up for a game perhaps there is a scenario that we could play that would let me try out a few assaults and get some pointers from one of your grogs? I have AoTR and SBWW2.

Cheers!
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2021, 07:33 AM,
RE: Plea for tactical help
Email sent.
05-06-2021, 02:46 PM,
(05-06-2021, 07:33 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Email sent.

I also want that email.
Send this user an email
05-07-2021, 02:13 AM,
Flibby

You are anything but terrible. You are trying to play the game the way a commander would act if time were not an issue. Just assume that someone is yelling into your ear that you need to take that position now. Look at the terrain and try and determine where you would place your forces to defend the objectives you have been ordered to take. Examine your forces and make a realistic plan on what you need to accomplish in order to please that jerk yelling in your ear (ie get a draw or better in the victory conditions) and then moving your cover fire units, if necessary, so that they put fire on where you believe the enemy will be and move your assault force over the most advantageous ground towards the objectives you have assigned to them. Through the trees might be safer, but it will be slower. How much time do you have. You have to balance risk and reward constantly in these games.

And the reason that the scenarios are like this is because the length of a scenario is one of the critical factors in play balancing. If the designer was to add four or five turns (or more) for a decent recon, it would reward the attacker who ignored the recon phase of an engagement and would force the defender to hold on longer than anticipated. A good scenario is one that is not decided until the very end; on the last turn is best. You can put a team/squad/platoon on point to draw fire and maneuver your following forces as appropriate, but you rarely have time to do a recon and then plan your attack. You need to assume that you have all the information you are going to get at the start.

Hope this helps some

Jeff

Feel free to email or PM me if you have more questions about scenario design.
05-07-2021, 05:46 AM,
(05-07-2021, 02:13 AM)Jeff Conner Wrote: Flibby

You are anything but terrible.  You are trying to play the game the way a commander would act if time were not an issue.  Just assume that someone is yelling into your ear that you need to take that position now.  Look at the terrain and try and determine where you would place your forces to defend the objectives you have been ordered to take.  Examine your forces and make a realistic plan on what you need to accomplish in order to please that jerk yelling in your ear (ie get a draw or better in the victory conditions) and then moving your cover fire units, if necessary, so that they put fire on where you believe the enemy will be and move your assault force over the most advantageous ground towards the objectives you have assigned to them.  Through the trees might be safer, but it will be slower.  How much time do you have.  You have to balance risk and reward constantly in these games.

And the reason that the scenarios are like this is because the length of a scenario is one of the critical factors in play balancing.  If the designer was to add four or five turns (or more) for a decent recon, it would reward the attacker who ignored the recon phase of an engagement and would force the defender to hold on longer than anticipated.  A good scenario is one that is not decided until the very end; on the last turn is best.  You can put a team/squad/platoon on point to draw fire and maneuver your following forces as appropriate, but you rarely have time to do a recon and then plan your attack.  You need to assume that you have all the information you are going to get at the start.

Hope this helps some

Jeff

Feel free to email or PM me if you have more questions about scenario design.

That really does help Jeff. Thank you very much.