• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Arty dialog
04-22-2021, 03:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2021, 03:26 AM by NicolasBourbaki.)
Arty dialog
Hi, 

When shooting with arty, if I target a hex with several units a dialog opens to ask me which unit I want to target. Several info is available, like "skirmish", square, column etc. But not the estimated number of men. It's a pity because of course with my arty I want to shoot at the largest group. So each time I need to deselect my attack, click on the enemy stack and have a look to the estimated number of men. For example 7X  / 1XX   and 8XX
And of course, I will shout at the counter with 8XX men because it garanties more casualities than a 70+ men group. Am I doing something wrong ? Is there a way to see the (estimated) number of men without closing the dialog, aborting my attack and selecting the enemy stack ? 

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2021, 05:52 PM,
RE: Arty dialog
Most folks play with Column Pass Through Fire on I think so it's not an issue for many.
04-22-2021, 06:17 PM,
I do have this OR activated. So you mean that with this "pass through" OR, it doesn't matter which unit is targeted, all units in the same hex will be impacted ? Is that correct ? So no need to specifically target one or another ?
04-22-2021, 09:02 PM,
Yes. Whatever unit you select, the whole stack will take a hit, if you select that optional rule. So you can select any one.
04-22-2021, 11:49 PM,
Cool. And I guess it has some realism too ...
04-23-2021, 04:16 PM,
BTW this leads me to another question : is it true too to Infantry firing ? Because in fact the problem of lack of information about the size of the unit would be the same ...
04-23-2021, 04:40 PM,
Also, I don't understand why I do have casualties when firing the enemy from 1 km away ?

For example, my arty battery is 10 hexes away from the unit I'm shooting and the result is "4 men, 11 men" which suggests I had casualties too (4 men). This happens quite often.

Any idea?
04-23-2021, 06:28 PM,
(04-23-2021, 04:40 PM)NicolasBourbaki Wrote: Also, I don't understand why I do have casualties when firing the enemy from 1 km away ?

For example, my arty battery is 10 hexes away from the unit I'm shooting and the result is "4 men, 11 men" which suggests I had casualties too (4 men). This happens quite often.

Any idea?

No. I think those are the losses of the different units in the stack you fired upon.
04-24-2021, 12:58 AM,
Ah ok ! Makes sense ... Will check if ot happens only when shooting on stacks. Thanks
08-22-2022, 10:36 AM,
I don't always shoot at the largest unit. I'll often shoot at the largest disrupted unit as it adds a modifier to the morale check if the morale check is triggered; hoping to cause disruptions and routs. If it is arty shooting at units in line or column (w the column pass through option chosen) then it doesn't matter, I aim at the largest.