• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New player - playing Waterloo
04-15-2021, 03:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-15-2021, 03:41 AM by NicolasBourbaki.)
New player - playing Waterloo
Hello everybody, 

I'm new here and got the Biltz address from JTS site as I was searching info about JTS games. I'm the happy owner of Waterloo Campaign. Fantastic game. Just started the full 4 days battle scenario [380 turns] from Charleroi to Mont St-Jean. I'm def not a grognard at JTS but I'm REALLY enjoying their games.

I'm focusing on Waterloo as French

And I will soon be tempted to PBEM.  

I have one question: as turns represent 10/15 minutes I guess that very often you press end turn without engaging any combat e.g. when positioning/manoeuvring units on the battlefield or even without moving any units (e.g. at night or before a battle, for example if you decide to start your offensive at let say 11:00. 

Would that be correct in a PBEM ? 

2nd question : which other Napoleonic game would you recommend between :
- Wellington peninsula
- Bonaparte's Peninsular War (and what dfference between these two spanish titles)
- Russia
- Eylau
- or any other I should buy ?

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2021, 04:05 AM,
RE: New player - playing Waterloo
Welcome to the Blitz and very glad to hear that you found out about us from JTS as we are a huge supporter of their games.

From my POV, you would be hard-pressed to start of with a better NAP title, as Waterloo has always been one of my favorites.

I also really like Leipzig.

Every NAP title has small, medium, large, really large, and Campaigns.

If you look at past entries that have been posted here on the Blitz, you will see that others have had the same question about what NAP titles to buy next, and you will see what was recommended to them by other Blitz members.

Also, make sure to check out the JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler if you plan on using 3rd party art mods as it is a really handy program to use.

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=65299

If you are interested in using art mods, here is a whole section of NAP ones:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...hp?fid=262

And here is the newest one:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=74499

If you have any questions about JSGME, NAP, or anything else JTS related, feel free to post in the appropriate forum board section and we will be more than happy to help you out.

Just be forewarned, JTS games are very addicting and their customer support and game updates are top-notch and second to none!

Good Luck!

Chad
04-15-2021, 05:16 AM,
Welcome to the Blitz!

yes, some turns there is not a lot to do an other turns there are a lot!

The Peninsula Games and 1812 will play similar to Waterloo. Eylau uses different movement rates.

From the product pages:

Wellington's Peninsular Campaign focuses on four main campaigns - Dec. 1808 - Jan. 1809 culminating with Corunna, Suchet's campaign to secure Spain through 1812, and Wellington's two campaigns to liberate the Peninsula

Bonaparte's Peninsular War will take you through battles and campaigns focused in and around Portugal, but also branch out into Spain for some of the early war actions of 1809. The balance of the Peninsular conflict is covered in a follow-up title currently in development.

Both have a lot of battles and scenarios.

As for what to get next. The common refrain on these pages is buy what you find interesting. I am most interested in the 1813 campaigns and I really like those games, as an example.
04-15-2021, 07:35 AM,
My standard reply to the "what game should I get" question is always get the one that interests you the most historically.  Just be aware that games like Leipzig contain more then just Leipzig and Austerlitz has more then just Austerlitz.  But if you are interested in the battle then you should get that campaign as you'll learn more about the battles leading up to and including the main one.
04-15-2021, 09:20 AM,
I think the Blitz should set up a forum section where forum posts are people reviewing JTS games. There is definitely demand for this.
04-17-2021, 02:43 AM,
OK, it's clearly time for me to look at available mods ...;

Any Waterloo 2D and/or 3D map mod you would recommend or "Waterloo Art Mod by Philippe" (in the link above) is THE one I should install ? (my main complain in the vanilla game is about 3D graphics which are a bit blurry. 2D's are good enough for me)
04-17-2021, 05:32 PM,
Aaaaaahhhhhhhh !! I didn't load the newest 3D graphic package available in the updates section.
So lovelyyy ! No more blurry 3D map. So cool !
04-20-2021, 05:42 PM,
A good review of all JTS Napoleonic titles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSM3Fok3p5g
04-21-2021, 01:22 AM,
I was wondering if, from this point forward (after Waterloo), I should not buy/play all titles in their historical chronological order... Must be a great experience to play all battles as they historically occurred, from 1792 (Republican Bayonets on the Rhine) to 1814 (as I already have Waterloo). And at the same time reading books on the considered events.

A unique opportunity to learn in details this fascinating chapter of history.

Very tempting ... but a long term project/commitment.