• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Napoleonic Series: modding Leader graphics?
04-10-2021, 06:23 PM,
Napoleonic Series: modding Leader graphics?
In the Napoleonic series, is it possible to mod the Leader graphics? If so, how to do it? Do you have to have the oval-shaped portraits?

Personally, I much prefer the Leader graphics in the Musket & Pike and ACW series. Is there any way to get close to that in the Napoleonic series?

Also, how do you know which portrait is related to a specific Leader? I mean, If I create an OOB with a specific General in command, how do I locate his portrait in the graphic files? How do the portrait ID numbers relate to the actual graphics files?

And if I create a junior Leader in the OOB---perhaps an ADC, for example---how do I assign a "generic" portrait to him?

In the Seven Years War game, these issues are eliminated by having the option to assign national flags as generic Leader portraits.

Anyway, any info relating to these issues gratefully received---many thanks in advance. :-)
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2021, 09:11 PM,
RE: Napoleonic Series: modding Leader graphics?
(04-10-2021, 06:23 PM)neonlicht Wrote: In the Napoleonic series, is it possible to mod the Leader graphics? If so, how to do it? Do you have to have the oval-shaped portraits?

Personally, I much prefer the Leader graphics in the Musket & Pike and ACW series. Is there any way to get close to that in the Napoleonic series?

Also, how do you know which portrait is related to a specific Leader? I mean, If I create an OOB with a specific General in command, how do I locate his portrait in the graphic files? How do the portrait ID numbers relate to the actual graphics files?

And if I create a junior Leader in the OOB---perhaps an ADC, for example---how do I assign a "generic" portrait to him?

In the Seven Years War game, these issues are eliminated by having the option to assign national flags as generic Leader portraits.

Anyway, any info relating to these issues gratefully received---many thanks in advance. :-)

Will give some of these a shot:

No you don't have to keep the oval shape, but once you change one to something different, say a rectangle- then you need to change them all (have done that one before ...).  Plus - I understand where you're coming from ;) the originals could use some help seeing as graphics programs are a lot more powerful now.

OOB file assigns which portraits are with -- it goes by numbers -and starts with 0 - through 11 (iirc it is 12 to a row)... then the next row -starts at 12 through 23 .... etc.  There is a file in some of the titles that provide a key for what all of the numbers represent on an OOB file ... not sure which one it is (without looking it up, and not in a position to do so at the moment) ... it is near the end of the Leader listing though.

Assigning a generic image (eg a flag, per your example) - first design a flag ... then per the above, work out which slot it is and assign it the number slot that you have designed it in.   I am pretty sure the replacement leaders in SYW are all from anon.bmp   -what I? did with that is simply fill up all of the rows with flags -- the catch being each row corresponds to a specific nationslot in the titles.  That was sort of a carryover from the work they'd done in REN (sorta ... in the sense that they also used a lot of generic people ... and to me that sort of didn't work out so well, once a named personality was added to the file...

For example - the original REN file has Mansfeld on it ... which is silly, seeing as Mansfeld is a Thirty Years War personage (I think Henry VIII is in there somewhere too) ... and no - Mansfeld was not used from some hypothetical TYW title ... not that image, at any rate...
Bydand
Send this user an email
04-11-2021, 03:05 PM,
RE: Napoleonic Series: modding Leader graphics?
Hi and many thanks for this---appreciated. That's useful info, especially re. how portrait images are assigned. I'll experiment a bit and see what's possible. Thanks again.