• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Potential bug when crossing a stream without a bridge along a road
03-10-2021, 12:30 AM,
Potential bug when crossing a stream without a bridge along a road
The recent discussion about movement points got me thinking and testing, and I think the following situation might be a bug.

I ran the test in France '40 because I needed units that would have MP's left after crossing into a village hex and streams with and without bridges.

[Image: rDaU2tF.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2021, 01:34 AM,
RE: Potential bug when crossing a stream without a bridge along a road
(03-10-2021, 12:30 AM)ComradeP Wrote: The recent discussion about movement points got me thinking and testing, and I think the following situation might be a bug.

I ran the test in France '40 because I needed units that would have MP's left after crossing into a village hex and streams with and without bridges.

It's no bug. In the situation on the left, the unit is looking at a rickety foot bridge into town. They can't use it, so they have to go around the bridge and into the village, likely through side streets that aren't optimized for mechanized units to move through, thus 49 MPs.

In the second situation, the road crosses a stream before going through town. This allows the tanks to cross the stream and then enter the village via its main street, thus only 23 MPs.
03-10-2021, 04:57 PM,
(03-10-2021, 01:34 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 12:30 AM)ComradeP Wrote: The recent discussion about movement points got me thinking and testing, and I think the following situation might be a bug.

It's no bug. In the situation on the left, the unit is looking at a rickety foot bridge into town. They can't use it, so they have to go around the bridge and into the village, likely through side streets that aren't optimized for mechanized units to move through, thus 49 MPs.

In the second situation, the road crosses a stream before going through town. This allows the tanks to cross the stream and then enter the village via its main street, thus only 23 MPs.

Well this descriptiion of whats happening sounds about right except that in the first case the game engine says that despite the bridge being rickety and non useable they re still charged 1MP for using it?
03-11-2021, 12:00 AM,
The only thing that should make a difference in the two examples would be the elevation change in the one on the right and it shouldn't be that much going downhill vs going up hill.

Both units are crossing from a secondary road to a secondary road. The one on the left could be considered deeper because it was bridged for lighter vehicles. The one on the right doesn't seem a big deal because it wasn't bridged for anything.

As for the village, town or city hex, remember, they are not exactly the size of the hex. They are abstracted for the game scale. If you have a hex with one building, you can't call it a village hex. You have to draw the line somewhere.

I hope I see things correctly. Otherwise, it is time to get my eyes checked. :)
04-02-2021, 05:27 PM,

Yep, I have pointed this out somewhere in another thread some time ago. It's weird. All bridges should have 0 MP cost (because they're handled via road movement anyway).