• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Guess the movt cost - K43
03-09-2021, 09:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-09-2021, 10:04 AM by Lethal.)
Guess the movt cost - K43
Hi PzC Players,

Kharkov '43

Found an answer to one of my questions re movement of Primary Roads in the video I posted earlier.  
It is on the first image - K43HQmovt.

Have a look at K43HQmovt and guess what is the cost to move the HQ Unit, Soft Halftrack, Secondary Road across a Stream onto a Secondary Road hex.  

The result in-game is displayed in K43HQmovtResult.

PS The insert image option does not seem to work

[Image: K43HQmovt.jpg]
[Image: K43HQmovt.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2021, 10:47 AM,
RE: Guess the movt cost - K43
(03-09-2021, 09:55 AM)Lethal Wrote: Hi PzC Players,

Kharkov '43

Found an answer to one of my questions re movement of Primary Roads in the video I posted earlier.  
It is on the first image - K43HQmovt.

Have a look at K43HQmovt and guess what is the cost to move the HQ Unit, Soft Halftrack, Secondary Road across a Stream onto a Secondary Road hex.  

The result in-game is displayed in K43HQmovtResult.

PS The insert image option does not seem to work

I think I know this one. Ground conditions do not affect hexsides, so you get the nominal Stream cost (30 MP) + the adjusted Secondary road value (5 *1.5 = 7 MP) to arrive at the final 37 MPs.
03-09-2021, 12:05 PM,
That is very helpful. So, on the parameter data screen, trail, secondary and rail are modified by ground conditions. (Not movement by "Rail" - R). The hexside factors listed on the parameter data screen below these factors are not affected by ground conditions. Noting that Primary road has its own rule.

thx
03-09-2021, 01:55 PM,
(03-09-2021, 12:05 PM)Lethal Wrote: That is very helpful.  So, on the parameter data screen, trail, secondary and rail are modified by ground conditions.  (Not movement by "Rail" - R).  The hexside factors listed on the parameter data screen below these factors are not affected by ground conditions.  Noting  that Primary road has its own rule.

thx

That is my understanding, however I'm not 100% sure as I have not tested them all.

I've always found the terminology around hex sides confusing, as functionally there are either "border" or "crossing" features, i.e. streams and walls run along hex sides, but roads and rails cut through them. They are lumped together in the parameter data, but apparently it's the features that actually cross the surface of a hex that are affected by ground conditions.
03-09-2021, 05:19 PM,
Though I guessed it would be 37, it is still a bit odd as technically you would expect that the unit can't enter the hex by road. After all, there's no bridge.

On the other hand, that would mean all those scenarios in the USSR with streams without bridges would be even harder to move around on. That might be why the movement cost is Stream+secondary road modified by weather conditions, rounded down instead of Stream+Village modified by weather conditions.
03-10-2021, 12:25 AM,
After giving it some further thought: I've always used "movement cost=whatever it costs to cross the stream into the terrain type on the other side" when trying to determine movement cost when moving into a hex. The situation in the screenshots seems to be a bug, as the situation with a bridge the unit type can't use and without a bridge at all are not identical even though they should be, I think.

I'll create a separate thread.