• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Mod "Ferraris Map" for JTS Nap
03-07-2021, 05:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-14-2023, 06:31 PM by Aoi99.)
Mod "Ferraris Map" for JTS Nap
This new mod is based on a true marvel of cartography, the 1777 Ferraris map of Belgium. A map of impressive detail and accuracy, said to have been used by Napoleon during the Waterloo campaign.

I have tried to adapt the aesthetics of the map, within the great limitations of the game's graphics engine and my limited competence in graphic design, seeking to improve the appearance and readability of the game's maps. I have also taken the opportunity to improve the units mod, adding the missing view. I hope you like it and do not hesitate to comment on the aspects that could be improved.

Edited: Updated to version 4.06.

Since version 4.03 WDS have included three modes to represent the units in 2D (Nato, Alt and Block), being able to select any of them from the game's Setting menu.

To install the mod you just have to copy the graphic files in the Map folder of the game directory. For easier installation of the mod, the unit files are prepared to replace the "Block" set. If you prefer to replace another set, you must change the names of the files to those of the set you want to replace before copying them to the "Map" directory. that is to change the name of the three files substituting one of the unit modes, adding an "a"(Nato) "b"(Alt) or "c"(Block) to the name depending on the everyone's preferences.

Version 4.06:https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuuupigdarbtg4...6.zip?dl=0

2D Zoom-Out View

[Image: Captura%20de%20pantalla%202021-04-02%20160816.jpg?dl=0]

2D Normal View

[Image: Captura%20de%20pantalla%202021-04-02%20160913.jpg?dl=0]

2d Normal Mag

[Image: Captura%20de%20pantalla%202021-04-02%20161200.jpg?dl=0]
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2021, 05:32 AM,
RE: Mod "Ferraris Map" for JTS Nap
Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful!   Thumbs Up
03-09-2021, 05:18 AM,
Thank you.
03-11-2021, 11:35 PM,
That is a work of beauty! Excellent work. Very many thanks.
03-21-2021, 12:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-21-2021, 12:53 AM by KAreil.)
This is absolutely great, I'm blown away...

One small thing I noticed that seems odd. At the least the Austrian supply wagons in RebulicanBayonets do not show their facing.

EDIT: Checking the files it seems that the supply units cannot have different pictures/facing regardless of their facing in the game.
"Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu." - PzGrenB.13 Ried/Innkreis
03-21-2021, 08:57 PM,
Wow. I'm blown away by this mod. It's a wonderful piece of work and has really revived this series for me, as I'm afraid I thought the new update graphics were really uninteresting, and certainly I would never have played with them if I could get Phillipe's excellent mods to work instead. But this Ferrari map and units is stunning, really stunning. Thank you, Aoi99!! I've just been playing Austerlitz and it looks just like the period maps! BUt beautiful also - the graphics for towns, marshes, forests, everything is really beautifully done.

A consequence, of course, is that the absence of colour-coding (historically accurate absence of colour-coding) for height, makes the heights a tad more difficult to read. I wonder if you had ever considered adapting the historical accuracy a little and adding very very slight and subtle height colour-coding? I mean very slight colour differences, using your paper colour as a basis? Just a thought.

Again, many thanks.
03-22-2021, 03:32 AM,
(03-21-2021, 08:57 PM)phoenix Wrote: Wow. I'm blown away by this mod. It's a wonderful piece of work and has really revived this series for me, as I'm afraid I thought the new update graphics were really uninteresting, and certainly I would never have played with them if I could get Phillipe's excellent mods to work instead. But this Ferrari map and units is stunning, really stunning. Thank you, Aoi99!! I've just been playing Austerlitz and it looks just like the period maps! BUt beautiful also - the graphics for towns, marshes, forests, everything is really beautifully done.

Thanks very much.

Quote:A consequence, of course, is that the absence of colour-coding (historically accurate absence of colour-coding) for height, makes the heights a tad more difficult to read. I wonder if you had ever considered adapting the historical accuracy a little and adding very very slight and subtle height colour-coding? I mean very slight colour differences, using your paper colour as a basis? Just a thought.

Thank you very much for your comment. Right now I am going to create an alternative map with the heights marked by variation of the base color. I hope you find it useful.

Something like this:

[Image: Austerlitz.jpg?dl=0]

In the first post I will add the download link valid for all games.
03-22-2021, 04:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-22-2021, 04:36 AM by phoenix.)
Looks great. Even that little bit of shading really helps. Thanks!! Really excellent stuff.

UPDATE: Oh! You've already done it. That was extremely quick! I've downloaded it and tried it with 7YW, Austerlitz and 1814 so far. Looks even better. Very slight sacrifice of historical map look is worth it, i think, as especially on a map like Austerlitz it really helps with the contours. Many, many thanks!

Will it work for the renaissance title, do you think? (Not the units, obviously, but the terrain)?

Another update: Just tried it with REN. Works nicely the map, I think, though the title unfortunately lacks the higher zoom level. I didn't see any issues so far aside from that. The units look very uninteresting compared to your beautiful unit graphics, of course.....
03-22-2021, 07:08 AM,
(03-22-2021, 03:32 AM)Aoi99 Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 08:57 PM)phoenix Wrote: Wow. I'm blown away by this mod. It's a wonderful piece of work and has really revived this series for me, as I'm afraid I thought the new update graphics were really uninteresting, and certainly I would never have played with them if I could get Phillipe's excellent mods to work instead. But this Ferrari map and units is stunning, really stunning. Thank you, Aoi99!! I've just been playing Austerlitz and it looks just like the period maps! BUt beautiful also - the graphics for towns, marshes, forests, everything is really beautifully done.

Thanks very much.

Quote:A consequence, of course, is that the absence of colour-coding (historically accurate absence of colour-coding) for height, makes the heights a tad more difficult to read. I wonder if you had ever considered adapting the historical accuracy a little and adding very very slight and subtle height colour-coding? I mean very slight colour differences, using your paper colour as a basis? Just a thought.

Thank you very much for your comment. Right now I am going to create an alternative map with the heights marked by variation of the base color. I hope you find it useful.

Something like this:

[Image: Austerlitz.jpg?dl=0]

In the first post I will add the download link valid for all games.

I notice that there's a kind of edge left for some of the field tiles which gives a kind of impression of them being one raised above the other. See the pic. Is this as intended? 

[Image: edges%201.png]
03-23-2021, 03:37 AM,
(03-22-2021, 04:16 AM)phoenix Wrote: Will it work for the renaissance title, do you think? (Not the units, obviously, but the terrain)?

Another update: Just tried it with REN. Works nicely the map, I think, though the title unfortunately lacks the higher zoom level. I didn't see any issues so far aside from that. The units look very uninteresting compared to your beautiful unit graphics, of course.....

Try this adaptation of the mod for Renaissance units, see if it works. I don't have the Renaissance game so I haven't been able to test it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ip8uetrumn22n...N.zip?dl=0