• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Seven Year War: Victory Points query
03-26-2021, 12:57 AM,
Seven Year War: Victory Points query
Messing about with the SYW scenario editor. In the Napoleonic Battles series you can assign casualty-point values to Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, Supplies in the Header Dialog. But in SYW you can't do this. And so I was wondering: how are Victory Points calculated in SYW with regards to combat losses? Is there a formula for losses that allows you to work out how losses are scored in the game? Thanks in advance for replies. :-)
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2021, 07:20 AM,
RE: Seven Year War: Victory Points query
On page 8 of the user manual there is a section on Unit Values.

The bottom line of the Unit Value box contains the value of that unit.

Value: Determines how many victory points are associated with losses of that unit in
determining the win/lose outcome of the battle.
03-26-2021, 08:22 AM,
(03-26-2021, 12:57 AM)neonlicht Wrote: Messing about with the SYW scenario editor. In the Napoleonic Battles series you can assign casualty-point values to Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, Supplies in the Header Dialog. But in SYW you can't do this. And so I was wondering: how are Victory Points calculated in SYW with regards to combat losses? Is there a formula for losses that allows you to work out how losses are scored in the game? Thanks in advance for replies. :-)

Victory points per unit in the Musket and Pike series (of which SYW is part of) - are assigned in the OOB files to each unit individually. In that sense it is a lot more flexible than the Napoleonics engine.

As such that is done (done meaning coded) via text editor; there is no OOB file editor.   Formulae for VPs for units, that is something that is at the sole discretion of the scenario designer. There is no set formula.

I believe that there is a formula for the ratio of losses -as to how the engine counts these (in other words how many losses of actual men in game = the VPs.  It isn't 1 loss = the vps coded on the OOB file; not 1:1.)

Check out the Notes.txt file -there is a key to the MP OOB file in there and how it is structured.  SYW would have come with this.
Bydand
Send this user an email
03-26-2021, 05:08 PM,
Excellent! Many thanks indeed for these swift & helpful replies---I get it now! :-)
03-30-2021, 02:53 AM,
In game, you can see how many VP/Strength Point a unit is worth by clicking on the Unit Information Box.
Scenario Designer JTS Midway JTS Seven Years War JTS Wolfpack WDS Kriegsmarine