• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Noob Query re. phased v. continuous-play mode
02-26-2021, 11:20 PM,
RE: Noob Query re. phased v. continuous-play mode
(02-26-2021, 07:27 AM)NikolaiB Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 04:25 AM)Steel God Wrote: Although I have never used Phased play in PzC or MC games, it is the only way I will play the ACW titles (which is a different Ladder and board just adding it for conversation).

Wow, how many extra "turns" or emails does Phased play require? I thought Phased play would only double the email count, but after seeing the rulebook for the War of 1812 it turns out to be a lot more!

Although I recently purchased 1776 and French & Indian War, and have been playing PzC/MC forever, the following response applies ONLY to the ACW games because they are the ONLY ones I have done this with and quite frankly without looking at it I don't want to "assume" this works for other game series.

That said:  If you check off "MDF (manual Defensive fire)" and "ADF (automatic defensive fire)" in the optional rules when you play PBEM then you will exchange exactly 1 email per turn (same as non-phased play).  The play flow is player A does all movement, advances phases, player B (controlled by AI by virtue of ADF being checked) conducts a full defensive fire phase, and the AI advances the phase, player A conducts a full offensive fire phase, advances phase, player A conducts a full melee phase, ends turn and send email to opponent. 

Part of the reason why I have never looked at phased play in PzC/MC is because they are intended (in my mind and I believe certainly in original design) to be fluid combat situations with maneuver and breakthrough and exploitation.  ACW battles are better modeled with less of that and phased play does a better job of modelling the era.  I don't believe either way is perfect and both ways have exploitable things that can be annoying, but they are games of course.

Apologies to anyone annoyed by me talking non-PzC in the PzC Forum.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Noob Query re. phased v. continuous-play mode - by Steel God - 02-26-2021, 11:20 PM