• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Another Command Control Question
02-19-2021, 01:57 AM,
Help  Another Command Control Question
Stuck at home due to the weather today and I fired up Zelechow Melee against the AI.  The reason I asked my earlier question here:  https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=74443 was because I felt the German battalion 50% radii were extraordinarily short.

The scenario takes place in 1944, so the Germans do suffer a modifier of 0.9.  With an unmodified range of 8, this should make the modified range equal to 7 (FRD).  However, with the Command Range displayed, I get this:

[Image: ZelechowMelee%20CC.jpg]

A highlighted range of Five hexes.  Just prior to this screen capture, I moved the leader in the adjacent hex (Up-Right) out of the hex.  The presence of the leader should have increased the Command Range by another hex (its Command Strength is 1), but made no difference.

Other battalions show the same limits although I have noticed that other leaders have increased the command range.  Does anyone have an idea why the range would be different?  I've poked around in the .scn and .org files, but my knowledge of these files is limited.  I haven't yet found any way to modify the range and I'm just curious why it's different in this scenario.

Thanks,
Rake
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2021, 08:44 AM,
RE: Another Command Control Question
The commander bonus does not take affect until the following turn.
Send this user an email
02-19-2021, 11:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2021, 11:58 AM by Big Ivan.)
Whoa Jason!

Thanks for the update and clarification my friend on Rake's question!

He is playing my scenario so I was a bit concerned.

Have at it Rake! I made that scenario long ago and still very interested in feedback on it good or bad. FYI, I changed my callsign a couple years back from Ivan the Big to Big Ivan.

Hope you enjoy playing it as much as I did making it. Enjoy, Good Luck!!

Regards,
John Wink
02-21-2021, 12:33 AM,
(02-19-2021, 11:58 AM)Big Ivan Wrote: Whoa Jason!

Thanks for the update and clarification my friend on Rake's question!

He is playing my scenario so I was a bit concerned.

Have at it Rake! I made that scenario long ago and still very interested in feedback on it good or bad. FYI, I changed my callsign a couple years back from Ivan the Big to Big Ivan.

Hope you enjoy playing it as much as I did making it. Enjoy, Good Luck!!

Regards,
John Wink

Thanks John,

I haven't gotten too far yet.  I'm still trying to sort everybody out, with the various kampfgruppen mixed together and parts of HG Pz Regiment coming in on the "wrong" side of the marsh from the rest of the regiment.  It's a test of my command control.  Big Grin2    And, I'm trying to do all this while fighting of what appears to be a probe to my left - I'm afraid it might be more than just a probe.  Reinforcements, particularly the infantry, to KG Lorentz had best hurry   Whistle

I tend to like scenarios taking place in Poland and Byelorussia, as opposed to the Ukraine.  It's sort of like fighting in a maze.  I also enjoy these large, combined arms mash-ups.  All in all, that's a good start for me.

I will keep you posted.

Jason,

Thanks for the heads up.  In all my time playing this game, until my re-read of the manual recently, I was unaware that leaders even boosted command range, much less that it didn't happen until the next turn.  BUT, until I moved the leader out of the hex in this most recent turn, that leader had been in the hex with the Battalion HQ for a turn.  

Still, this doesn't answer my main question as to why the Battalion HQ, with or without the presence of a leader, still only has a radius of 5 hexes instead of 7.  It's my fault for posting the question as I did.  I only added the part about the leader as an FYI - I should have put that additional info in another paragraph to clarify my main point.

I just tried starting this scenario without the CC Optional Rule.  The same battalion shows a radius of 8 hexes, as it should.  A restart with Command Control turned ON, and before any units have been moved, shows that the same battalion HQ only has a range of 5 hexes.

So, the question remains, why is the battalion command radius two hexes shorter than it should be according to the CC Optional Rule.  

Thanks in advance,
Mike
02-21-2021, 05:18 AM,
(02-19-2021, 11:58 AM)Big Ivan Wrote: He is playing my scenario so I was a bit concerned.

John...  I don't think you need to be concerned because it's you scenario.  I've popped open a handful of scenarios and CC ranges for Russians and Germans kinda seem all over the place.

Right now, I have Tightening the Noose # Izyum open and this is what I see:

[Image: TtN_Izyum%20_RussBatt_CC%20Comparison.jpg]

This is a 1942 scenario, and per the CC modifiers, the Russian Battalion should have a range of 6 (0.7 modifier x 8 hex radius).  The range in the game is 7.  There is a 3 Command Leader in the hex.  I'm not sure whether his command should modify the radius in this case but, either way, the radius is neither 6 nor 9.  Without the Optional Rule selected, the correct radius of 8 hexes is displayed.  The German battalions in this scenario seem to be incorrect with CC On, showing an 8 hex range instead of the modified range of 10 hexes.

I haven't the time right now to do a full test to see if the optional rule is bugged, but I have opened several different scenarios and checked the radius with CC both in play and not.  So far, it seems kind of all over the place, i.e., some scenarios seem to show the ranges correctly and others do not. 

For instance, I opened Panzer on the Pcic,  another 1944 scenario, and the German battalion command range is displayed correctly at 7 hexes with CC on.  However, there is a Russian Regimental HQ (856th Lt. SU Reg., Hex 26,5) that displays a 15 hex radius with CC On.  With CC Off, this would be the correct range.  However, with CC On, the regiment's range should be 13 hexes.  I've found similar instances in other scenarios.

Until the new EF game is released, I would recommend checking HQ range with the W key frequently.

Mike