• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PzCamp Sicily: AI Orders
02-12-2021, 05:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2021, 07:52 PM by neonlicht.)
PzCamp Sicily: AI Orders
Panzer Campaign Sicily: how do you give specific AI orders to specific units in the Editor? I've read the manual and that was no help. 

As I understand it (perhaps wrongly), to give AI orders in the Editor you have to:

1. Choose the "Selected Unit" option in the "View/Highlight" menu.
2. Double-click on the units you want to move.
3. Single-click on the destination hex.
4. Choose "Add Active Order" from the AI menu.
5. Add the turn number on which you want the order to execute.

But when I do this and then test it out in the main game program, the AI ignores my "Active Order" and does its own thing.

I had the same issue with the FWWC East Prussia game. 

I bought these games from JTS specifically because the JTS website claims that it's possible to create your own scenarios for play against the AI. But how can you create a scenario (as you wish to design it) when the AI ignores your orders & does its own thing?

Or maybe I'm doing this wrong? In which case, why can't I find the info I need in the documents that ship with the game?

I realise that this is a website for wargamers who play each other via the web. But I have to post questions relating to Single Player mode here because JTS Support doesn't respond to my queries.

Are, in fact, JTS games viable at all as single-player games? If not, why do they advertise them as such?

P.S. Could it be that you have to give each individual unit a separate AI order? I had assumed that, by selecting a stack and highlighting it, you could give an AI order to the whole stack? But maybe it doesn't work like that?

Update: I did some further tests re. AI Orders in the Editor ...

1. I gave each individual unit AI "Active Orders" (i.e. not stacks) and they started off in the right direction but then began doing their own thing -- retreating, going round in circles, shooting off across the map etc.

2. I tried just giving the Brigade HQ an AI "Active Order" to be initiated on Turn 3, but it simply ignored the order and immediately the whole brigade decided to move off in its own direction across the map.

3. Instead of issuing an AI Order to try and get my brigade to move to a certain hex, I simply placed an enemy-owned objective (1000 points) on that hex. The result was good: the brigade advanced on the target hex, took it, and then began digging in.

4. I than added a second objective hex to the map (800 points). This time, my brigade (without any AI "Active Orders" given by me) headed straight for the second objective (800 points) and dug in, ignoring the first-placed Objective (1000 points). I then added a third Objective (500 points) and this time my brigade made straight for that---ignoring the earlier-placed objectives until the third-placed objective had been taken.

5. I then deleted all objectives and placed a single enemy-owned objective on the far edge of the map. My brigade ignored the objective and instead selected a random hex to move towards.

6. I then deleted the objective on the far edge of the map and added two objectives fairly near my brigade. My brigade took the first objective, then vacated it, and took the second objective, then vacated that, and then selected a random hex on the far flank of the map to head towards.

At this point I gave up trying to understand how to create a scenario with the AI.
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2021, 05:47 PM,
RE: PzCamp Sicily: AI Orders
(02-12-2021, 05:07 PM)neonlicht Wrote: Panzer Campaign Sicily: how do you give specific AI orders to specific units in the Editor? I've read the manual and that was no help. 

As I understand it (perhaps wrongly), to give AI orders in the Editor you have to:

But when I do this and then test it out in the main game program, the AI ignores my "Active Order" and does its own thing.

I bought these games from JTS specifically because the JTS website claims that it's possible to create your own scenarios for play against the AI. But how can you create a scenario (as you wish to design it) when the AI ignores your orders & does its own thing?

Or maybe I'm doing this wrong? In which case, why can't I find the info I need in the documents that ship with the game?

I realise that this is a website for wargamers who play each other via the web. But I have to post questions relating to Single Player mode here because JTS Support doesn't respond to my queries.

Are, in fact, JTS games viable at all as single-player games? If not, why do they advertise them as single-player such?

P.S. Could it be that you have to give each individual unit a separate AI order? I had assumed that, by selecting a stack and highlighting it, you could give an AI order to the whole stack? But maybe it doesn't work like that?

I presume you have read pcedit.pdf? I am relatively new to PzC games but have a longer history with other JTS games and I always get a fantastic response from their support - check that you are asking in the right places, and your questions here are welcome.

All JTS games are good single-player games as in they offer a good practice for later taking on a real opponent.

I do have FWWC East Prussia game if you should like someone to help play test anything you make - I would be interested to try and help.

Best regaards,
Ash
Send this user an email
02-12-2021, 06:09 PM,
(02-12-2021, 05:47 PM)Ashcloud Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 05:07 PM)neonlicht Wrote: Panzer Campaign Sicily: how do you give specific AI orders to specific units in the Editor? I've read the manual and that was no help. 

Are, in fact, JTS games viable at all as single-player games? If not, why do they advertise them as single-player such?

I presume you have read pcedit.pdf? I am relatively new to PzC games but have a longer history with other JTS games and I always get a fantastic response from their support - check that you are asking in the right places, and your questions here are welcome.

All JTS games are good single-player games as in they offer a good practice for later taking on a real opponent.

I do have FWWC East Prussia game if you should like someone to help play test anything you make - I would be interested to try and help.

Best regaards,
Ash

Hi Ash and very many thanks for this -- appreciated. Yes, I've read the PDF relating to the Editor, and the section on AI Orders appears straightforward, but I can't seem to get it to work in practice. Anyway, thanks again & best wishes.
02-12-2021, 07:57 PM,

Have you tried using the Highlight Org button? If you click on this and then select a unit it will highlight all units in that unit's organization. Then proceed as normal by clicking on the destination hex and then selecting Add Active Order.

I am not sure that choosing the "Selected Unit" option in the "View/Highlight" menu actually works as you are intending, so that could be the problem.
02-12-2021, 08:15 PM,
(02-12-2021, 07:57 PM)Green Wrote:

Have you tried using the Highlight Org button? If you click on this and then select a unit it will highlight all units in that unit's organization. Then proceed as normal by clicking on the destination hex and then selecting Add Active Order.

I am not sure that choosing the "Selected Unit" option in the "View/Highlight" menu actually works as you are intending, so that could be the problem.

YESSSS!!! You are right! Very many thanks indeed! You need to highlight the Organization and then issue AI Orders. I thought I must be doing something wrong but couldn't find the info from the manuals. Many thanks again!