• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Modern Campaigns: noob query re. victory points
02-07-2021, 01:03 AM,
Modern Campaigns: noob query re. victory points
In the Modern Campaigns series -- is it possible to change/fix it so that victory points are only awarded for objectives (and not unit losses)?

For example, in the Napoleonic Battles series, it's possible in the Editor to assign unit-casualty values as being worth "0", thus forcing players to grab objectives as the only way of gaining victory points. Can this be (somehow) done in Modern Campaigns?
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2021, 02:54 AM,
RE: Modern Campaigns: noob query re. victory points
No, unfortunately, I don't believe it can be done. The only partial way around it is to set the objectives to be worth so much that losses don't matter, except when the objective points are extremely close to the boundary between levels.
[Image: exercise.png]
02-07-2021, 03:44 AM,
(02-07-2021, 02:54 AM)Ricky B Wrote: No, unfortunately, I don't believe it can be done. The only partial way around it is to set the objectives to be worth so much that losses don't matter, except when the objective points are extremely close to the boundary between levels.

Hi and many thanks for this. OK, I see.

Hmm, prior to reading your reply, I had created a scenario based on the following idea: NATO defends 3 objectives, each one valued at 10 points. WP attacks with a massive numerical superiority but NATO receives some reinforcements later on -- the idea being that NATO might hold or grab back one of the objectives, thereby denying the WP player a Major Victory.

I kinda wanted to make it so that the WP player has to take all 3 objectives to score a Major Victory. In other words, I wanted the capture of objectives to be a clear and crucial goal. And so I set Major Victory for WP (as first player) at 30 points, Minor Victory at 20 points, Minor Defeat at 10 points, and Major Defeat at 0 points (I was still unaware how the game converts losses into Victory Points).

I then tested the scenario by making the AI play against itself and got the following result:

NATO
-Men 83 losses = 16 points
-vehicles 178 losses = 498 points

WP
-Men 415 losses = 65 points
-Guns 67 losses = 98 points
-Vehicles 137 losses = 240 points
-All 3 Objectives = 30 points

WP scores total of 141 VPs & gains "Major Victory", which seems wrong or unfair. Maybe I should have set the Major Victory at 300 points etc.?
02-07-2021, 10:08 AM,
Make the objectives 200 points each and your call on major victory - whether 500, 600 or 700. That is what I am suggesting - the the losses don't move the level as much.
[Image: exercise.png]
02-07-2021, 10:13 PM,
(02-07-2021, 10:08 AM)Ricky B Wrote: Make the objectives 200 points each and your call on major victory - whether 500, 600 or 700. That is what I am suggesting - the the losses don't move the level as much.

Yep--that worked great! Many thanks. :-)