• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Labels on updated maps
01-17-2021, 10:14 PM,
Labels on updated maps
Just to add to the thread below. Something I've noted whilst playing Bulge 44 pbem using both the new 2 zoom update and the slightly older version is the vast improvement in the map labels. Very very nice. The zoomed out 2D is now readable and the 2D zooms are more subtle and improved and don't over power the map and counters.. 

Unfortunately I have a user moded map and counter style loaded for playing the older version but you can see the differences in the map labels below. 

I've also highlighted some differences in yellow. They look to be spelling/name corrections? 

Old
[Image: 2021-01-17_11h20_42.png]

New 
[Image: 2021-01-17_11h14_57.png]

Old
[Image: 2021-01-17_11h23_13.png]

New
[Image: 2021-01-17_11h23_45.png]

Old
[Image: 2021-01-17_11h33_01.png]

New
[Image: 2021-01-17_11h32_40.png]
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2021, 01:32 AM,
RE: Labels on updated maps
Plain Ian,

You can thank David Michas for the new labels. We essentially migrated the map labels from the heavily revised France '40 map. Hence the differences.

The natural hi-res graphics seem to have helped the map labels as you mentioned. We have also removed the slope hex sides from the most zoomed out view as they were cluttering the overall look. That view is also a lot cleaner in my opinion.

David
01-18-2021, 06:15 AM,
Interesting that in the final snapshot above, Wereth seems to have disappeared although still is a village hex.
01-18-2021, 08:57 AM,
(01-18-2021, 06:15 AM)LordFowl Wrote: Interesting that in the final snapshot above, Wereth seems to have disappeared although still is a village hex.

I guess this means it wasn't listed on the France 40 map so hasn't been transferred over. I believe it is easy to add in place names? There are a few threads about this which searching should throw up?

When doing AAR's and using the zoomed out 2D maps you wanted some place names but not all the names which is what the game gave you. I took the easy option of not showing labels and just adding in ones that I needed. 

The Crossroads label I guess is Parker Crossroad?
01-18-2021, 10:21 AM,
(01-18-2021, 08:57 AM)Plain Ian Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 06:15 AM)LordFowl Wrote: Interesting that in the final snapshot above, Wereth seems to have disappeared although still is a village hex.

I guess this means it wasn't listed on the France 40 map so hasn't been transferred over. I believe it is easy to add in place names? There are a few threads about this which searching should throw up?

I agree about zooming out reducing place names displayed helps to make things less crowded. In fact I'm quite in awe of the maps. Very often I have the game open while reading a history book, and often places are mentioned that aren't on any map in the book. JTS to the rescue! Not just a game, but a battle atlas and OOB encyclopedia.

I just had a fiddle with the map editor, yes it's very easy to add (or delete) place names.