• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Scheldt '44 - Floating unit on river
01-09-2021, 11:30 PM,
Scheldt '44 - Floating unit on river
Hi - and Happy New Year to all,

Not been on for a while, but I've recently been messing with Scheldt '44 and came across this during a test game.

The scenario is 0917_02 and is being played as Allies V AI controlled Axis with FOW off.

The unit in question is an MG Inf from Sperrverbande Hartzer and it attempted to cross the river and assault Fort Pannerden from the ferry to the SE - it was blasted over a couple of turns by the defending Brit AT unit and XXX Corps arty and subsequently broke - in the AI German turn it Floated off with the tide to the NW !!

I've attached a screenshot 

Not seen this before so it may be worthy of investigation :)

Cheers 

Chris

Attached Files
.png   Scheldt Floating Unit.png (Size: 397.51 KB / Downloads: 35)
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2021, 12:16 AM,
RE: Scheldt '44 - Floating unit on river
I recall seeing similar results in the ACW game Shiloh, had an infantry unit rout into the river and couldn't get it out.  I think it's caused by the broken/routed retreat movement sequence ignoring the rules for normal movement.  In the ACW game units often rout behind enemy lines even when they have a clear path of retreat to their rear but you cannot move routed units closer to the enemy even when there is a river between them and you.
01-10-2021, 01:10 AM,
Hi me old fruit!

Good to see you back.......... Wink
01-10-2021, 02:28 AM,
(01-10-2021, 01:10 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Hi me old fruit!

ay-up Darran ....Do I have to salute you now due to your lofty rank ?? LOL ... its been a while without a doubt :)

Have you seen broken units floating on a full hex river before ?? ... new to me
01-10-2021, 02:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2021, 04:10 AM by ComradeP.)
The unit isn't floating down a river, it's moving down a trail. Several full hex ferries have an unexplained trail leading into a water hex. That might be due to an error with generating roads or the map initially being different.

The full hex ferries at Everdingen,Pannerden, Emmerich and Druten in the Market Garden map all have a trail leading into the river, other hexes might have the same issue. With no way to exit the hex from there. This also blocks units crossing the river by utilizing engineer units with the Has Boats flag. I haven't been able to test with the effect on pontoons is.
01-10-2021, 03:18 AM,
(01-10-2021, 02:40 AM)ComradeP Wrote: The unit isn't floating down a river, it's moving down a trail. Several full hex ferries have unexplained trail leading into a water hex. That might be due to an error with generating roads or the map initially being different.

The full hex ferries at Everdingen,Pannerden, Emmerich and Druten in the Market Garden map all have a trail leading into the river, other hexes might have the same issue. With no way to exit the hex from there. This also blocks units crossing the river by utilizing engineer units with the Has Boats flag. I haven't been able to test with the effect on pontoons is.

A-Ha ! ..... Well spotted Comrade ... thanks :)
01-10-2021, 03:21 PM,
(01-10-2021, 02:40 AM)ComradeP Wrote: The unit isn't floating down a river, it's moving down a trail. Several full hex ferries have an unexplained trail leading into a water hex. That might be due to an error with generating roads or the map initially being different.

The trails are an artifice from the map editor. To create a ferry for a full water hex, you run a trail across two sides. That places the ferry symbol there but also has the end of the trail showing either side.

We aren't concerned about and its not normally obvious if there is a road running to the ferry point. It just shows when there is no transportation infrastructure to the ferry hex.

David
01-10-2021, 05:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2021, 05:45 PM by Hadge.)
(01-10-2021, 03:21 PM)Strela Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 02:40 AM)ComradeP Wrote: The unit isn't floating down a river, it's moving down a trail. Several full hex ferries have an unexplained trail leading into a water hex. That might be due to an error with generating roads or the map initially being different.

The trails are an artifice from the map editor. To create a ferry for a full water hex, you run a trail across two sides. That places the ferry symbol there but also has the end of the trail showing either side.

We aren't concerned about and its not normally obvious if there is a road running to the ferry point. It just shows when there is no transportation infrastructure to the ferry hex.

David
[quote pid="442233" dateline="1610256068"]
Thanks David ... after twenty years of playing PzC it is something I had not come across previously :)  
[/quote]
01-10-2021, 08:08 PM,
(01-10-2021, 02:28 AM)Hadge Wrote:

ay-up Darran ....Do I have to salute you now due to your lofty rank ?? LOL ... its been a while without a doubt :)

01-10-2021, 08:13 PM,
(01-10-2021, 02:28 AM)Hadge Wrote:

No you can stand easy............. Big Grin    LOL

Yes we had seen a trail allowing units to sit on a full river hex, but these ones didn't float away  Wink