• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

North Africa unit morale
01-10-2021, 08:02 PM,
RE: North Africa unit morale
(01-10-2021, 03:37 PM)Strela Wrote: Hi,

Also wanted to mention that Operation Compass gets pretty extensive coverage in Panzer Battles North Africa 1941.

Both the attacks at Bardia and Tobruk are covered as are many of the other engagements.

Here is a short write-up of a playtest of the Tobruk scenario from Compass WDS Blog entry - Tobruk

The Panzer Battles scales works particularly well in the desert.

David

Yes it is excellent that these actions were included as it can be easy to view the start of the NA campaign from the point that Rommel attacked at El Agheila.
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2021, 08:10 PM,
(01-10-2021, 08:02 PM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Yes it is excellent that these actions were included as it can be easy to view the start of the NA campaign from the point that Rommel attacked at El Agheila.

When I was looking to specifically play Operation Compass I first looked at Tobruk '41, assuming it would be in there - luckily it wasn't as it is one of the few PzC titles I don't own. I used TheBlitz database to find the Operation Compass scenario in El Alamein 42, which of course I do own. For a moment I was worried that Compass wasn't covered by PzC, which would have been a real shame as some of the most interesting action in NA was pre-Rommel's arrival I think.

Now if only there was a PzC scenario which somehow managed to cover the entire period from Graziani's invasion of Egypt, all the way to the destruction of DAK in Tunisia. That would be something!
01-10-2021, 08:17 PM,
I never did ask the question why the Compass scenarios were an "add on" to Alamein and not Tobruk, but I am sure there was a good reason at the time.
01-11-2021, 07:26 AM,
Probably the Tobruk 41 Map does not extend far enough East.
01-12-2021, 07:28 AM,
Ah Ok it is a map issue, I didn't think of that.  Wink

David if you are still reading this thread do you you have a "guesstimate" when the issue with the PzB mortars being too ineffective might be solved with a patch/update?

I would like to purchase the PzB NA41 title, but I would rather wait until this issue was fixed.
01-12-2021, 09:11 AM,
(01-12-2021, 07:28 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Ah Ok it is a map issue, I didn't think of that.  Wink

David if you are still reading this thread do you you have a "guesstimate" when the issue with the PzB mortars being too ineffective might be solved with a patch/update?

I would like to purchase the PzB NA41 title, but I would rather wait until this issue was fixed.

In the meantime there is a beta fix for PzB North Africa here;

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...842&page=3

I suspect, that the difference between this and the final version would not justify waiting.
01-13-2021, 08:31 AM,
(01-12-2021, 09:11 AM)Green Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 07:28 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Ah Ok it is a map issue, I didn't think of that.  Wink

In the meantime there is a beta fix for PzB North Africa here;

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...842&page=3

I suspect, that the difference between this and the final version would not justify waiting.

OK thanks, I didn't realise a fix had been released.  Wink
01-14-2021, 11:48 AM,
The 6th Australian Division is rated somewhat generously in the Mod Ed and I did.  It wasn’t up to snuff.  It arrived in North Africa in bits and pieces, was deficient in equipment and training, and had to be worked up for months prior to being committed to battle.  In December 40, only 4th Indian and 22nd Guards Bde are front line worthy, but the success of Compass made pressing 6th Australian into action a necessity.  The truth is these are not the the Australians that will form the basis of the legends, which will come later with 9th Division.  They should probably be rate D but couldn’t take Bardia probably if they were.
01-14-2021, 11:52 AM,
(01-11-2021, 07:26 AM)MichaelT Wrote: Probably the Tobruk 41 Map does not extend far enough East.

That was the case, we needed the map east of the Frontier Wire.  If memory serves we also got Glenn to give us a new map for a Beda Fomm scenario but age dulls the mind.
01-14-2021, 12:13 PM,
(01-14-2021, 11:48 AM)Steel God Wrote: The 6th Australian Division is rated somewhat generously in the Mod Ed and I did.  It wasn’t up to snuff.  It arrived in North Africa in bits and pieces, was deficient in equipment and training, and had to be worked up for months prior to being committed to battle.  In December 40, only 4th Indian and 22nd Guards Bde are front line worthy, but the success of Compass made pressing 6th Australian into action a necessity.  The truth is these are not the the Australians that will form the basis of the legends, which will come later with 9th Division.  They should probably be rate D but couldn’t take Bardia probably if they were.

Thanks Steel God. My initial query was based on the fact that Barrie Pitt was effusive in his praise for the performance of the 6th during the capture of Bardia and then Tobruk. He certainly gives no indication that the unit was not up to snuff, not even the slightest. So after reading that, and then playing the scenario, I was a little surprised to see how they were rated. I'm not suggesting your rating is wrong, just that it seemed so out of kilter with what Barrie Pitt wrote.