• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

War on the S
01-05-2021, 09:16 AM,
RE: War on the S
I had high hopes for the TWiE series, but creating a quirky game system and then not providing anyone from the design team to answer the inevitable questions that a new game system throws up was a recipe for a flop, there was quite a bit of initial interest and a few games registered, but as players could not get any insight into the game system and their questions went unanswered they just got frustrated drifted away. 

Pity as Michael says the series did have potential.  Rolling Eyes
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2021, 05:24 PM,
I've been playing it a little today, as I am reading The Crucible of War by Barrie Pitt at the moment, and it does have a bit of a half-baked feel about it. It almost feels like a prototype of what the PzC system has become - better graphics, better gameplay, better everything just about.

Probably my biggest dislike is the use of strength points, rather than the actual number of men or vehicles. For example, the 6th Australian Division has a 'strength' of 130 - what does that even mean? It kind of feels a bit 'Panzer General-like' when you have no idea of the true strength of a unit. Anyway, it is what it is, but as I said earlier, it feels a but unloved by JTS.
01-05-2021, 10:32 PM,
Doesn’t the manual say what that means?
01-05-2021, 11:21 PM,
(01-05-2021, 10:32 PM)zovs66 Wrote: Doesn’t the manual say what that means?

When i bought and tried to get into this game I couldn't find that info in the manual. Buried in the 'notes' document is this: 

Unit ratings are based on a fairly complex set of calculations utilizing actual weapons counts. The first calculation is for unit strength. One point is given for each Infantry Platoon and an equivalent amount of vehicles, or major weapons. The game ratings are based on the number of weapons of a given type multiplied by a weighting factor (different weightings are applied for each game factor (AF, DF, Arm, AT, and AA). The products for all weapon types, there are 182 of them, are then added together and then divided by the unit strength. This final number is then adjusted by a Quality factor (ranging from 1.0 for super elite troops to 0.4 for the REALLY bad) and this last part is the only place where external judgment comes into play.

Maybe that explains it to someone with a more flexible mind than mine....
01-06-2021, 02:45 AM,
Um, ah...yeah, okay, its complicated...LOL

Although I have seen worse.

Number of shots from each attacking ship TO&E line = ((#Ships-Damage%) x 102.922 x Ship’s Anti-Naval Value x ((2 x Proficiency + Readiness + Supply) / 4) / Shell Weight) / (Naval Attrition Divider/10)

And:

100 x SQRT(Visibility) / ((1 + (0.002 + .13 / Attacking Ship’s Durability) x Range x Range) > Random (100)

My math skills are lagging...lol
01-06-2021, 12:59 PM,
Strategic War
Someone from JTS posted these a few months ago.
[Image: Konigsberg.jpg]
[Image: Leningrad.jpg]
[Image: Finland.jpg]
[Image: Tunisia.jpg]
01-06-2021, 01:46 PM,
Thanks for sharing those. I wonder if JTS is working on something new for the Strategic series or if this is a user mod.

?
01-06-2021, 04:09 PM,
(01-06-2021, 01:46 PM)zovs66 Wrote: Thanks for sharing those. I wonder if JTS is working on something new for the Strategic series or if this is a user mod.

?

I seem to recall someone from WDS saying it was on the to-do list, just nowhere near the top....
01-07-2021, 01:14 AM,
Just saw and read this (was posted on Discord on the Hex! server):

https://www.wargamer.com/articles/war-in...-wds-game/
01-07-2021, 07:46 AM,
I sure hope it has some truth to it. A JTS alternate to WITE would be great to see.