• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

NEW UPDATES
02-07-2021, 07:05 AM,
RE: NEW UPDATES
(02-07-2021, 06:03 AM)monkie Wrote: So we will see the new updated high resolution for the Japan series as well and might those be before or after the Modern campaigns? These updates really brought me back into the fold and i purchased 14 games in the last sale, now to just get the time to get involved in a few PBEM's.

Yes, the Japan updates will be done before the Modern Campaigns are looked at.
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2021, 10:47 AM,
It seems to me with the new 2D zoom that there is an opportunity with the counters to add more information. Instead of enlarging the NATO symbol, why not keep it the same size as the normal 2D and use the extra space for unit designation and/or values like the 3d Counters use?
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."
02-07-2021, 11:43 AM,
(02-07-2021, 10:47 AM)Pinetree Wrote: It seems to me with the new 2D zoom that there is an opportunity with the counters to add more information. Instead of enlarging the NATO symbol, why not keep it the same size as the normal 2D and use the extra space for unit designation and/or values like the 3d Counters use?

I'm curious about this too; I understand the 3D and 2D views are powered by different engines, and seeing as none of the series uses the 2D counters to display useful unit info I'm guessing there's some kind of hard limitation in the way the engine renders the graphics that doesn't make this possible. Would love to be wrong though!
02-07-2021, 11:47 PM,
(02-07-2021, 10:47 AM)Pinetree Wrote: It seems to me with the new 2D zoom that there is an opportunity with the counters to add more information. Instead of enlarging the NATO symbol, why not keep it the same size as the normal 2D and use the extra space for unit designation and/or values like the 3d Counters use?

This! I love the NATO symbols, but the lack of info on the counter face is annoying!
02-08-2021, 07:36 AM,
Just eyeballing it I think it would be tough to fit the information on the counters even with a reduced nato symbol and the higher resolution. Perhaps some smaller symbols with color coding would be better than trying to cram numbers. Of course this would take software re-programming but hey we can always dream about the future.
02-08-2021, 06:00 PM,
(02-08-2021, 07:36 AM)monkie Wrote: Just eyeballing it I think it would be tough to fit the information on the counters even with a reduced nato symbol and the higher resolution. Perhaps some smaller symbols with color coding would be better than trying to cram numbers. Of course this would take software re-programming but hey we can always dream about the future.

Here's a mockup I did, I used the 3D counters and superimposed them over the 2D zoomed counters. I had to move the numbers a little bit but as you can see, there is plenty of room.

[Image: mZhg76c.png]
02-08-2021, 06:18 PM,
I am not sure if the on map counters can be changed due to FOW - so to put all the extra information on the counter would be visible to the enemy.
Send this user an email
02-08-2021, 07:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 07:10 PM by Pinetree.)
The 3D counters have FOW so I can't see why the 2D ones shouldn't be able to.
02-08-2021, 07:30 PM,
That mockup looks very nice, I'd love to see something like that in game.

I think the limiting factor might be the resolution being used in the magnified view, unless it's a large enough the fonts for the numbers might be unreadable. With a large enough resolution you can fit a ton of information on the counters of course but we are limited by what is currently in the game engine. I'm not a graphics guru but the 2dsymbolsmag.bmp is using a 768x1152 image, would we not be limited by this resolution, and would that not make the it tough to get such fine graphics on the counter with the current limit?
02-08-2021, 08:04 PM,
It's an interesting discussion. We might not get a lot of numerical information on each counter due to resolution or engine issues. However much like some other hex/counter wargames perhaps a small coloured box to indicate (depending on the user's selection) fatigue of the unit, disruption, or ammunition status, etc.

There is already an indication bar for 'travel' mode, a small square using part of that space might work.