• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New PB title on the way
12-31-2020, 03:05 AM,
New PB title on the way
Panzer Battles Moscow is on the way!

For all the details see here https://www.wargamedesignstudio.com/2020...ear-update
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2020, 03:26 AM,
RE: New PB title on the way
Thanks for sharing this here Darran.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
12-31-2020, 11:55 AM,
Hi,

Just for clarity, it will be a long shot that this title will be released in 2021. To achieve that I need a decent slab of time and I’m just not seeing that yet. I’m the only developer on this project and keep getting sucked back into Panzer Campaigns, whether it’s for patching cycles or ensuring the existing projects keep moving.

I will give it my best shot, but I just want to keep expectations in check.

We will keep you all up to date on progress.

David
01-01-2021, 12:01 AM,
I still think a good one would be Market-Garden, Alamein or Tunisia.
01-04-2021, 08:47 PM,
Question for David/Strela: Will PB Moscow have a proper map, designed for the title, as does PBNA - and hence will it be as accurate as the fantastic maps in PBNA - or will it be the PC Moscow titles' map imported over, leading to similar inaccuracies as exist on the Kursk map, perhaps? Thanks.
01-04-2021, 11:02 PM,
Hi Peter,

We talked about the map in more depth with screen shots in our 2019 End of Year Update. You can see that here: WDS Blog Post

That said, I can see it doesn't completely answer your question. We only handcraft maps now. Mike Avanzini lost over a year of his life creating this monster map which is currently 786,000 hexes in size. I actually want more added to it!

That said, you may not see the whole map included with the game, We may just cutout the relevant areas.

Here are a few examples of the map to give you some perspective.

This is part of the overlay map. (Note all images can be right clicked for full size)

[Image: Post%2020200413_23.jpg]

Here is the same map in summer:
[Image: Post%2020200413_24.jpg]

And now in winter:
[Image: Post%2020200413_25.jpg]

Here is Klin north of Moscow in summer. This section of map will definitely be in game:
[Image: Post%2020210104_02.jpg]

And in winter. Note the airstrips We have all the historical airfields in the correct locations:
[Image: Post%2020210104_03.jpg]

The previous image was with snow. This is the same image with frozen ground condition. The rivers are frozen and the streams have disappeared. Full hex rivers (not shown) are treated as frozen for at least one hex and are crossable by non vehicular units.
[Image: Post%2020210104_05.jpg]

And to real blow all your minds on how huge this map is, the red box on the jump map is the Klin section of map you are looking at. The map is complete, so everything is fully laid out as shown in the jump map:
[Image: Post%2020210104_04.jpg]

So yes, this is a massive project with a huge amount of effort already spent on it.

Thanks,

David
01-04-2021, 11:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2021, 11:25 PM by phoenix.)
Looks really impressive, David. Thanks. Wish it were coming out sooner. I'm relieved the maps are all original now. Makes a huge difference.

Something to consider (no doubt already considered) :Rail lines would look more clear as hard dashed lines, no? Especially on the lighter snow/frozen backgrounds. I always swap them out for trad 2d rail lines (black/white dashed lines), which is easy enough to do.

I think the new PC graphics are beautiful to look at (in the no hex side versions), very clear but also very pleasing to the eye (the first vanilla graphics I've been really happy with in a JTS game) and I actually tried swapping those out for the PB graphics. Same file sizes, I believe, but files need renaming to PB names. It worked with the exception of hex sides, more or less. Which meant it didn't work, as hex sides are used a lot more in the PB series, it seems. I realise it's not going to happen, but I think the PB series would look even nicer with the new PC graphics, counters and all....

What size screen is that, for those shots? I want one.
01-05-2021, 01:19 AM,
My screen size is 3440 x 1440.

I need it that big as I'm working way too many things simultaneously. Never enough screen real estate...

David
01-05-2021, 06:11 AM,
Not the title i prefer BUT the part of airborne soviet operations made me remember a little book that focus in this part... paratroopers+cavalry, is going to be interesting... maybe with Normandy, Krete, now soviet airborne operations is possible study a future title focus on this type of operations and add more operations like these, i think in Rhine cross, Market Garden and some hipotetical scens like Sealion and the Pacific (expanding the small actions and adding things like japanese in China and allies in Japan).

With the master map now is possible have an east title for PzB and this is a great thing.