• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

S41 Graphics update
12-24-2020, 09:58 AM,
Thumbs_Up  S41 Graphics update
Wow, what a difference. Map terrain (colours) and height clearly discernible. A middle magnification which means I can use ancient eyes to see. Resolution sharp and clear.

Congrats and thanks to all those involved, a great effort.

Now to find some time to set up a game with some-one, be back in the new year.
Quote this message in a reply
12-25-2020, 02:21 AM,
RE: S41 Graphics update
I'd like to add my kudos for the update.  I particularly like the changes to unit counters, roads & rails.  The underlying terrain graphics look cleaner; the new magnified (200 "layer" bmp's) are definitely so when compared side by side to the old, magnified 100 "layers".

My question is, what is the difference between the graphics in the Hi-res Graphics folder (contained within the Map folder) and the the files that are in the "Map" folder?  I've opened several of the files side-by-side in Photoshop and don't see any differences at all - they all appear to be 8 Bit images and, when I attempt to save them as bmp's, they default to being saved as 24 Bit bmp's.

I've been tinkering a little with some of the files, and it seems that some have defaulted to 32 Bits when I've gone to save.  Does the recognize 32 Bit images?  Previously, whenever I've modded anything, I've saved all at 24 Bits.  Also, I'm assuming that the game still reads from the Map folder; if so, what's the reason for the Hi-res folder?

Thanks in advance,
Rake
12-25-2020, 07:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-25-2020, 07:08 AM by phoenix.)
Afaik, the hi-res folder is there for your convenience in case you swapped out back to 'legacy gold' (using the folder also in there) and want to revert to hi-res - it's a back-up, no? So if you're happy with the vanilla hi-res then you won't ever need it. Similarly, there's a back-up 'with hex outlines' folder, in case you swapped to the 'no hex outline' options in there and wanted to return to hex edges. You use the back-up folders just by swapping the files in there into the main map folder. The game reads from the main map folder.
12-26-2020, 01:29 AM,
Thanks, phoenix...

That makes sense about the folders. I'll just have to wait for someone to explain the differences in the file parameters before I go trying to mod too much.

There are several things (movement arrows, bullseye for indirect fire, etc.) that I much prefer from Jison's mods. I tried modding the Magnified version of one game, wound up with a mess and had to revert. Something is different and I haven't quite figured it out yet.
12-26-2020, 10:47 AM,
(12-26-2020, 01:29 AM)The Real Rake Wrote: Thanks, phoenix...

That makes sense about the folders.  I'll just have to wait for someone to explain the differences in the file parameters before I go trying to mod too much. 

There are several things (movement arrows, bullseye for indirect fire, etc.) that I much prefer from Jison's mods.  I tried modding the Magnified version of one game, wound up with a mess and had to revert.  Something is different and I haven't quite figured it out yet.

Most files should be 24 bit BMP's, nothing should 32 bit as that will cause game crashes. I have not changed the 3D graphics pretty much, so many of those files will be the original 8 bit.

If you need assistance with the magnified version let me know.

One other comment on the magnified version, there is an issue with congestion markers on all threes games updated to date with a brown box appearing above them. We will be reissuing the patches soon to correct this. I am playing whack-a-mole here where minor issues are found after a release has been done and it will be easier to do a final update once we have a few more games updated and any other issues are identified.

The other thing that I know has to be updated is the snow graphics in Budapest. The later version are in Bulge but I missed rolling them back to Budapest. They will be included in the updated patch for that title too. 

Thanks,

David