• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sealion '40 is great entertainment and game!
12-23-2020, 06:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-23-2020, 06:47 AM by Kool Kat.)
Smile  Sealion '40 is great entertainment and game!
Gents: Smoke7

I have my first PBeM Sealion '40 game - "Left Hook to London" underway and it is fun and highly addictive entertainment!

Commanding the Axis and it has been a wild ride!  Big Grin

Now, you do need to buy into the designers' preconditions - that the RAF was defeated in the Battle of Britain and the Royal Navy was either defeated or could be kept at bay - by Axis mining of the approaches to the English Channel. You also need to accept the premise that the Axis sealift and airlift had good-to-excellent capability.

I also believe that the Royal Navy or what was left of it, would have sortied toward the landing beaches even if it was a suicidal final act!

But, even taking all of the above into account, Sealion '40 utilizes the historical Axis plans and OOBs. 

Note - Sealion '40 uses four Optional Rules as standard and Night Move Disruption = 0%. So, there you go!

Who says alt-history games can't be fun!  Big Grin 

I highly recommend this game title!
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2020, 08:34 AM,
RE: Sealion '40 is great entertainment and game!
Hey Mike!

I tried this title a couple of times, on both sides. I just didn't get the tingly feeling I usually do when playing PC titles. Interesting you did! I think it was just sooooo hypothetical I couldn't get engaged.

Goes to show, everyone is different!

Cheers, Jon
12-23-2020, 09:15 AM,
I am currently keeping the stats of every game reported on this ladder this year, at the end of the year I will be posting them just for everyone's interest to check out, at one point this year I was thinking that S40 was going to be the only PzC game with no game reports until Steel God returned after a 10 year absence and reported a couple of results.

So good to see you guys are playing this title as it rather looked like it was one of those release's that had been all but forgotten by the community........... Smile
12-23-2020, 10:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-23-2020, 10:52 PM by Kool Kat.)
(12-23-2020, 08:34 AM)larsonney Wrote: Hey Mike!

I tried this title a couple of times, on both sides. I just didn't get the tingly feeling I usually do when playing PC titles. Interesting you did! I think it was just sooooo hypothetical I couldn't get engaged.

Cheers, Jon

Hey Jon:  Smoke7

Well, that is the key to playing and enjoying hypothetical games - isn't it?  Idea2 You must be able to "buy into" the premise of that environment.

The Royal Military Academy conducted "Operation Sealion" as a major wargame in 1974. The game ended as a devastating loss for the Germans. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_..._(wargame)

It's too bad you are not interested in Sealion '40 Jon. It would be fun to clash swords with you again!  Pirate Duel2
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
12-23-2020, 10:50 PM,
(12-23-2020, 09:15 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: I am currently keeping the stats of every game reported on this ladder this year, at the end of the year I will be posting them just for everyone's interest to check out, at one point this year I was thinking that S40 was going to be the only PzC game with no game reports until Steel God returned after a 10 year absence and reported a couple of results.

So good to see you guys are playing this title as it rather looked like it was one of those release's that had been all but forgotten by the community........... Smile

Hey Darran:  Smoke7

Interestingly, when I conducted my "Do you play Sealion '40?" poll, 16 players indicated they play the game!  Smile
Send this user an email
12-25-2020, 09:51 PM,
I just bought this game in my recent splurge of Tiller games, buying 5 for 1 free...
Browsing the manual for changes, as I normally only play the modern campaigns.

I'll provide fresh meat to the waters, soon enough.

Dev
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
12-27-2020, 12:52 PM,
When I awoke from my hiatus and decided it was time to play, S40 was the first thing I reached for.  It was the last thing I helped work on for Glenn and I always pushed and cheered to see it come to print.  It was a Loooooong time in development and very much a labor of love.  I love the title.  If anyone would like an opponent for an S40 scenario I’m always willing.
12-27-2020, 03:47 PM,
(12-23-2020, 10:46 PM)Kool Kat Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 08:34 AM)larsonney Wrote: Hey Mike!

Cheers, Jon

Hey Jon:  Smoke7

Well, that is the key to playing and enjoying hypothetical games - isn't it?  Idea2 You must be able to "buy into" the premise of that environment.

The Royal Military Academy conducted "Operation Sealion" as a major wargame in 1974. The game ended as a devastating loss for the Germans. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_..._(wargame)

It's too bad you are not interested in Sealion '40 Jon. It would be fun to clash swords with you again!  Pirate Duel2

Well, I’m always game for another title if you’re interested Mike! I enjoyed our contests!