• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Have default optional rules changed?
12-22-2020, 07:19 PM,
RE: Have default optional rules changed?
OK! Keep forgetting about that one! Thx, must admit I usually only goto the user manual.
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2020, 08:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-22-2020, 08:31 PM by Green.)
This post can be deleted. Answered the wrong question! It has been a long day...
12-22-2020, 09:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-22-2020, 09:39 PM by phoenix.)
Christmas cards - virtual or real - are terrible for the environment - you're better off doing without them, David. From someone who I trust is part of the silent majority you reference, I can only scratch my head in mild puzzlement when I see this discussion (because the number of optional rules, the explication of them [which might take some searching for] and so on, has never even got near my horizon of 'issues'...I have other pet hates, of course [hexes...], and to each his own, as Mr Grumpy says...) I would just say have a great holiday period, you're doing a great job with these titles. You're unwaveringly polite and helpful, an example to anyone posting, or indeed, managing updates and upgrades to someone else's series of games!! The recent PC graphics updates, plus one of the best engineered set of scenarios so far, I think (comprising Schedlt '44) have been an excellent seasonal gift for me. Have a good break!

Peter
12-22-2020, 11:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-23-2020, 02:26 AM by Kool Kat.)
(12-22-2020, 11:51 AM)Strela Wrote: I know there is vocal minority that want many of the optional rules folded into the normal rules and less choices to be made.

David: Smoke7

Optional rules have expanded to 26 choices. There is a wide deviation of default optional rules. The .alt scenarios have wide deviation of game parameters. Game rules and game menus are found in separate manuals. Optional rules detailed explanations and examples are located in Forum threads.

Examples: 

(1.) Smolensk '41 has one Optional Rule - Night Fatigue as the default. The standard Campaign scenario has Night Move Disruption = 0%, but the .alt Campaign scenario has Night Move Disruption = 60%.

(2.) Stalingrad '42 has six Optional Rules that are default.

(3.) Scheldt '44 has fourteen Optional Rules that are default.

Is it not time for a more conscious and deliberate effort to either consolidate this information or at least provide players with a procedural list of "best practices" on setting up a scenario before play? Perhaps a procedural checklist that guides players in a step-by-step process from scenario selection to Optional Rules selection to consideration of .alt scenarios, would serve as an useful playing aid?
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
12-23-2020, 12:08 AM,
Or simply starting by adding the optional rules recommended by the designer in the scenario description. So all the basics you need would be right before your eyes when you select a scenario. Then you can start searching further in the docs or forums if you want to.
12-23-2020, 02:14 AM,
Where are the scenario notes in Bulge 2.02 that tell us which optional rules should be the used with the standard scenario? In particular, which newer optional rules -- such as Delayed Disruption -- that didn't exist when older titles like Bulge were first published?

Michael
12-23-2020, 03:45 AM,
(12-23-2020, 12:08 AM)Nico165 Wrote: Or simply starting by adding the optional rules recommended by the designer in the scenario description. So all the basics you need would be right before your eyes when you select a scenario. Then you can start searching further in the docs or forums if you want to.

Second this.
Least effort for most gain I think.
"Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu." - PzGrenB.13 Ried/Innkreis
12-23-2020, 03:51 AM,
For someone who is relatively new to the series, it is not obvious which scenarios are stock and which are by a modder. Having the options described in the manual is not ideal when reading a briefing in game. Also, the description of what an optional rule means doesn't make it obvious for me as a player to which extent it will affect the scenario overall, if it makes it more difficult/easy and so on. In fact, I think the briefing screen could be improved to make different versions of scenarios, indended options etc a bit clearer to the player.
12-23-2020, 10:55 AM,
(12-23-2020, 03:45 AM)KAreil Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 12:08 AM)Nico165 Wrote: Or simply starting by adding the optional rules recommended by the designer in the scenario description. So all the basics you need would be right before your eyes when you select a scenario. Then you can start searching further in the docs or forums if you want to.

Second this.

Well great minds think alike! LOL

I was lucky enough to have some of my edited versions of standard scenarios included in the Gold updates and I took just this approach with detailing which Opt rules to use in the scenario description as you can see below, simple but effective way of cutting through the Opt rules murk...........

[Image: Opt%20rules%20S41.jpg]
12-23-2020, 12:40 PM,
(12-23-2020, 10:55 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 03:45 AM)KAreil Wrote:

Second this.

Well great minds think alike! LOL

I was lucky enough to have some of my edited versions of standard scenarios included in the Gold updates and I took just this approach with detailing which Opt rules to use in the scenario description as you can see below, simple but effective way of cutting through the Opt rules murk...........

[Image: Opt%20rules%20S41.jpg]

This should be standard for all scenarios in all games.

Michael