• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Groundhog day question?
12-20-2020, 07:19 AM,
Groundhog day question?
I think I've asked this before but why does the engine allow you to ignore road stacking rules to move over a bridge?

Before no units

[Image: 2020-12-19_20h39_27.png]

Before with units

[Image: 2020-12-19_20h44_43.png]

After the move

[Image: 2020-12-19_21h04_19.png]

Strangely the Broken unit C/1/422nd was allowed to move with the group and then retreated away when the group was fired on?
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2020, 07:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-20-2020, 07:39 AM by ComradeP.)
RE: Groundhog day question?
Broken units retreat when fired at by direct fire.

Though technically the road stacking limit is violated by the move across the bridge, I guess you could think of it as units moving one after the other. In this case, they still used full MP's due to moving ZOC-to-ZOC into a hex held by friendly units. Normally, Disrupted/Broken units can't make a contested bridge crossing (ZOC-to-ZOC across a bridge) if there's no friendly unit in the destination hex.
12-20-2020, 09:06 AM,
Said another way, the bridge doesn't have anything to do with the road stacking limit (good, bad, or indifferent). The road stacking limit only determines whether you pay the road cost to enter a hex rather than the hex cost. I would say the bridge just asks whether the stack is in T mode or not, and T mode yes-movement allowed, T mode No-movement disallowed.

Had the move violated the hex stacking limit, the system would not have allowed you to make the move.

Does that make sense, or am I completely misunderstanding your question?
12-20-2020, 09:08 AM,
(12-20-2020, 07:39 AM)ComradeP Wrote: Broken units retreat when fired at by direct fire.

Though technically the road stacking limit is violated by the move across the bridge, I guess you could think of it as units moving one after the other. In this case, they still used full MP's due to moving ZOC-to-ZOC into a hex held by friendly units. Normally, Disrupted/Broken units can't make a contested bridge crossing (ZOC-to-ZOC across a bridge) if there's no friendly unit in the destination hex.

Just realised something.......the units trying to cross the bridge are all FOOT units. Doh.
12-20-2020, 09:12 AM,
John Tiller coding 1 v Plain Ian 0
12-21-2020, 05:37 AM,
(12-20-2020, 09:08 AM)Plain Ian Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 07:39 AM)ComradeP Wrote: Broken units retreat when fired at by direct fire.

Just realised something.......the units trying to cross the bridge are all FOOT units. Doh.

I don't see how that makes any difference, since road movement limits apply to all units using road movement.

I think that you're seeing the forced bridge crossing rule in action. It does not, technically, use road movement, but does use the entire MP.[Image: 2020-12-20_11h36_27.png]
12-21-2020, 09:48 PM,
(12-21-2020, 05:37 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 09:08 AM)Plain Ian Wrote:

I don't see how that makes any difference, since road movement limits apply to all units using road movement.

I think that you're seeing the forced bridge crossing rule in action. It does not, technically, use road movement, but does use the entire MP.[Image: 2020-12-20_11h36_27.png]

Mmh yes I realised a few minutes after posting that Foot shouldn't make a difference but I didn't want to keep the thread going. I think Fortynslow has nailed it. Pretty logical way of thinking about it and I guess that's how the game is programmed and 'sees things'. Wink Just a series of IF/THEN OR/ELSE logical conditions in a hierarchial order.

Now the Forced Bridge Movement must have an impact on things and must have been a bit of a pain to programme? However in this case its hard to see because if you look at my moving units A you will see that one unit is Disrupted and one unit is in fact Broken? So the Forced movement couldn't have been used? Two turns earlier I had problems moving a Broken unit towards the bridge and now the game engine allows me to skip across it gaily and even get an extra hex when the enemy fire at me!  Rolling Eyes

Maybe its best not to analyse things too much and play.......  Wink

Ian in 'bonnie Dundee'
12-22-2020, 09:18 AM,
You moved into an occupied hex, it appears to me. So no forced movement across the bridge. Simply that you can move into an occupied stack in enemy ZOC unless playing with locking ZOCs on, as long as you haven't used any movement points prior to that. That is how it looks to me.
[Image: exercise.png]