12-15-2020, 08:45 PM,
Civillians in Squad Battles
In the SB user Manual under the heading "Civilians" it says:

Quote:Certain games in the Squad Battles series
support the Civilian feature. Under this feature,
certain units can be identified as Civilians using
the Scenario Editor.

In the Scenario editor manual under the heading "Command Menu" it says:

Quote:Select Toggle Civilian to toggle the Civilian status of the currently selected units. Note: this feature is not supported in all versions of the Squad Battles

I can't find a game in the series that does support this feature. Whilst it would be appropriate for any of the series I imagined it might be most likely to be in ToD or Vietnam. Particularly since, as far as I remember, this feature was mentioned in the manual for the original ToD game which was the second game in the series to be released.

Anyone know which games do support it? 

In the meantime I will open up all the scenario editors one by one and report back if I find it. If this feature isn't implemented its a great shame, It would open up all sorts of interesting possibilities for scenario design.

..I know all about the Captured units feature so i am not referring to that, specifically the Toggling of Civilian status .
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2020, 08:50 PM,
RE: Civillians in Squad Battles
(12-15-2020, 08:45 PM)Embis Wrote: In the SB user Manual under the heading "Civilians" it says:

Quote:Certain games in the Squad Battles series
support the Civilian feature. Under this feature,
certain units can be identified as Civilians using
the Scenario Editor.

In the Scenario editor manual under the heading "Command Menu" it says:

Quote:Select Toggle Civilian to toggle the Civilian status of the currently selected units. Note: this feature is not supported in all versions of the Squad Battles

I can't find a game in the series that does support this feature. Whilst it would be appropriate for any of the series I imagined it might be most likely to be in ToD or Vietnam. Particularly since, as far as I remember, this feature was mentioned in the manual for the original ToD game which was the second game in the series to be released.

Anyone know which games do support it? 

In the meantime I will open up all the scenario editors one by one and report back if I find it. If this feature isn't implemented its a great shame, It would open up all sorts of interesting possibilities for scenario design.

..I know all about the Captured units feature so i am not referring to that, specifically the Toggling of Civilian status .

I imagine I saw civilians in the Africa at War mod.
Send this user an email
12-15-2020, 09:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2020, 09:02 PM by Embis.)
...Well it wasn't such an arduous task to open up all the Scenario editors to find the answer. But useful to have the answer here for future reference.

The only games where the "toggle civilian" status is implemented are Falklands and Modern War

I would be interested to know why this hasn't been implemented in more titles, and although I realise future updates are unlikely (to say the least) I might beg that this feature is enabled in all the SB series. (Rich, if you ever read this...Pleeeease!! Respect3

As I said previously it would open up all sorts of possibilities in scenario design.
Napoleon I
12-15-2020, 09:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2020, 09:16 PM by Embis.)
Quote:Ashcloud wrote:

Thanks for the rapid reply Ash, That Mod was based on Pacific War and the feature isn't implemented in that, So i would doubt it, I think that is only a graphic mod.

Africa at War needs the War Horse treatment! the graphics are awful and for that reason I don't have it installed anymore.
Napoleon I
12-17-2020, 04:02 AM,
(12-15-2020, 09:14 PM)Embis Wrote:
Quote:Ashcloud wrote:

Thanks for the rapid reply Ash, That Mod was based on Pacific War and the feature isn't implemented in that, So i would doubt it, I think that is only a graphic mod.

Africa at War needs the War Horse treatment! the graphics are awful and for that reason I don't have it installed anymore.

LOL, thanks for the vote of confidence!! Might look into it in the near future, I love that mod!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
12-21-2020, 01:28 AM,
Africa at War is not a mere graphic mod. It has newly created scenarios in it, so that civilians may have been included by the creator.

You will notice that Falklands and Modern War are specific insofar as rules of engagement are concerned:
- in Falklands the British troops are fighting on their soil, which implies avoiding harm to civilians who are fellow citizens; Argentinians want to avoid causing civilian casualties as well because that would completely destroy their public image.
- in Modern War the action plays today, or nearly so, at a time when rules of engagement force troops to fight with one hand tied in their back (at least Western troops) for fear of causing civilian casualties.
The situation is completely different for, say, Eagles Strike; this is WW2, US troops are fighting in France, Belgium, the Netherlands (well, the civilians know there is a war going on, we are liberating them, that does not go without fighting, they have better get out of the way) or in Germany (enemy territory, with enemy civilians); as to the German troops, they are fighting on enemy territory or, when fighting on their own soil, they have the need to stem the invasion of their country to be put above the outright preservation of the civilian population. Bottom line being: no need for specific civilian rules in the game.