• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Advice on purchases
12-14-2020, 06:34 AM,
Advice on purchases
So, first post after lurking on and off in the JTS section for a couple of years. Mainly hang out att Battlefront and The Few Good Men as Combat Mission is my main fix. Also active on GrogHeads and Matrix. I have Panzer Battles Normandy and PzC Salerno 43. Have played Normandy quite a bit but Salerno less so (waiting for the new graphics). Starting to tire playing against the AI so in time I will try to start some PBEMs.

But first I need some advice. With the sale going on I'm thinking of picking up a couple of titles. France 40 is high on the list. So is Sealion. Scheldt will have to wait some but interested in it. Maybe Japan 45 or 46. But I really want to pick up an Eastern Front game. Thinking about Moscow 41, Stalingrad or Korsun Pocket. Any recommendations on that front? Medium size battles is a priority.
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2020, 07:46 AM,
RE: Advice on purchases
Smolensk 41 is highly regarded, although I must confess that I haven'y played it, despite picking it up in the last JTS sale (too many games, too little time).
12-14-2020, 02:56 PM,
Kharkov '42 and Smolensk remain my favorite East Front games, although others are good too. They have a good mix of scenario sizes too, but them most all do.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
12-14-2020, 09:19 PM,
I've always preferred games are mobile and fluid; win or lose they seem much more interesting to me.  So because of that late war East Front games never appeal much.  They are all pretty much grinding attrition games where the inexhaustible wave of average and low quality Soviets grind down the Germans until they run out of reserves, time and/or space.  That said, if you ask me for an East Front Recommendation they would be (in order Smolensk 41, Kharkov 42 and Moscow 41).

For the same reason listed above love all of the African themed titles (although I will confess the PzB NA41 is a much better scale for that combat than T41), as well as love France 40, Seal Lion 40, Market Garden 44, and Bulge 44