• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Cavalry
12-06-2020, 12:29 AM,
Cavalry
O.K played lots of Panzer Campaigns and ACW titles but the Napoleonic's is new to me. Stuck a bit on Cavalry. In PZ or ACW you mainly disrupt before assaulting is this the same before charging with the Cavalry or can it be done against undisrupted units with a good chance of success if they not in a square?. The formations Cavalry make this really different as for Skirmishers please don't get me started I have no idea of the best use to be made of them I figure mainly to slow a infantry attack but maybe there's more to it than that.
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2020, 01:48 AM,
RE: Cavalry
Yes, cavalry can charge undisrupted infantry with a great chance of success.  Just be sure to set them as charging first to get the charge bonus and be sure to check the terrain so that you don't cross or enter terrain that will cause the horse to disrupt.  They are also very useful for clearing out enemy skirmishers. 

Skirmishers are there to harass and disrupt enemy formations.  If you are on the defense put them out as a screen to shoot approaching enemy formations and force them to assault them out of the way to get to your infantry formations.  If on the offense put them in front of your advance to again harass and shoot and possibly disrupt the enemies formations.  Skirmishers are also very useful for defending chateau's because it's easier to stack up in them right up to the limit before you lose the chateau bonus.
12-09-2020, 08:42 AM,
(12-06-2020, 01:48 AM)KG_RangerBooBoo Wrote: Yes, cavalry can charge undisrupted infantry with a great chance of success.  Just be sure to set them as charging first to get the charge bonus and be sure to check the terrain so that you don't cross or enter terrain that will cause the horse to disrupt.  They are also very useful for clearing out enemy skirmishers. 

Skirmishers are there to harass and disrupt enemy formations.  If you are on the defense put them out as a screen to shoot approaching enemy formations and force them to assault them out of the way to get to your infantry formations.  If on the offense put them in front of your advance to again harass and shoot and possibly disrupt the enemies formations.  Skirmishers are also very useful for defending chateau's because it's easier to stack up in them right up to the limit before you lose the chateau bonus.

I'd add one thing to be very aware of with regards to skirmishers and cavalry interaction. Understand when your skirmishers are in areas where they are vulnerable to be overrun.

Check the user manual for specifics. I don't have the specific page off the top of my head but hitting alt 'f' and typing in 'overrun' should get it to come up at some point.
Bydand
Send this user an email
12-16-2020, 02:18 PM,
(12-09-2020, 08:42 AM)_72z Wrote: Skirmishers are the worst part of these games. Way over powered. A unit of skirmishers can keep 800+ Bn  from attacking a chateau hex. Also, in the open, 20 skirmishers also stop these same skirmishers as opposed to brushing them aside. Same with cavalry. Why can't 800 inf not attack 20 horse? Ridiculous they have to wait several turns to shoot them to zero.