• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Losing an army HQ-Oh no!
12-05-2020, 01:46 AM,
Losing an army HQ-Oh no!
I am in the middle of a Serbia campaign and to my delight have stumbled upon the enemy Serbian Army HQ. My questions is how does the loss of this unit (commands everything) affect my opponent?  And, if destroyed will the unit regenerate like other HQ units?
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2020, 02:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2020, 02:03 AM by ComradeP.)
RE: Losing an army HQ-Oh no!
It should reappear normally at some point in a hex with one of the units it commands.

What I don't know is if it reappears in a hex with a unit that is directly subordinate to it (army HQ's, whatever units are directly attached to the Serbian Army HQ in the scenario you're playing) or in a hex with a unit belonging to its organization. If that's the case, it might reappear in any hex with a Serbian unit.

The main effect will be somewhat worse results for checks where a higher HQ down the line can help, such as Command checks, and any checks done by the HQ for units directly subordinate to it, such as Disruption recovery, Replacements and Ammo/Fuel checks.
12-05-2020, 05:11 AM,
Thanks

Will it come back with the exact same leadership rating? That seems a bit odd if the unit is destroyed. You have to figured that the overall commander is captured and on his way to a nice stay in Greater Germany.
12-05-2020, 05:47 AM,
Not sure how it works in the WWI system but in the ACW games everyone gets promoted up and the last guy promoted gets replaced with Col. Anonymous.  Everyone promoted and the new Col. all have the worst possible ratings.
12-05-2020, 07:00 AM,
(12-05-2020, 05:11 AM)crsutton Wrote: Thanks

Will it come back with the exact same leadership rating? That seems a bit odd if the unit is destroyed.  You have to figured that the overall commander is captured and on his way to a nice stay in Greater Germany.

Yes, it is unchanged except that on the first turn it is restored it cannot not perform its functions, it has a randomly determined strength and is Disrupted.
12-05-2020, 08:50 AM,
So really if I wanted to be a total asswipe, the smart thing to do is just isolate the HQ unit and leave it surrounded but not kill it?
12-05-2020, 09:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2020, 09:25 AM by Green.)
(12-05-2020, 08:50 AM)crsutton Wrote: So really if I wanted to be a total asswipe, the smart thing to do is just isolate the HQ unit and leave it surrounded but not kill it?

Not sure about that. I think an Isolated HQ can still be In Command and still has it normal Command Range. So I guess it depends on the situation but normally leaving it surrounded would not be a good use of your units.

Edit: On reflection, ignore my comments above. I assume the HQ is Broken so it will have a command range of zero.