• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Defensive line question - Waterloo
12-03-2020, 08:15 PM,
Defensive line question - Waterloo
Let's say I am defending an area that is fronted by a stream. I was thinking of placing my men in line formation behind the stream and pushing skirmishers ahead on the other side of the screen. Is that the best approach? Or is it better to also put the skirmishers behind the stream and the line infantry one hex behind? Does the stream actually do anything? I thought it might perhaps stop charging cavalry? Sorry if this is such a beginner question.
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2020, 02:58 AM,
RE: Defensive line question - Waterloo
(12-03-2020, 08:15 PM)CountryBoy Wrote: Let's say I am defending an area that is fronted by a stream. I was thinking of placing my men in line formation behind the stream and pushing skirmishers ahead on the other side of the screen. Is that the best approach? Or is it better to also put the skirmishers behind the stream and the line infantry one hex behind? Does the stream actually do anything? I thought it might perhaps stop charging cavalry? Sorry if this is such a beginner question.

Meleeing across a stream will penalize the attacker.

Cavalry that crosses a stream (for any reason, including melee) will be disrupted as a result.
12-04-2020, 05:19 AM,
Great, thanks, so perhaps having skirmishers behind the stream then? I really struggle to understand how to use skirmishers.
12-04-2020, 02:47 PM,
(12-04-2020, 05:19 AM)CountryBoy Wrote: Great, thanks, so perhaps having skirmishers behind the stream then? I really struggle to understand how to use skirmishers.

I will admit that I do, too, at times.

Streams/creeks help inform where they will do the most good. They're good it woods and orchards, too.

It seems to be an age-old quandary. In the bronze age the slingers and archers would be out front but would be ready to run back behind the phalanxes/legions at the drop of a dinar. Same with skirmishers: They can really slow down and harass an infantry push, but cavalry will sweep them aside.
12-05-2020, 05:44 AM,
I would put a line of skirmishers across the stream with the infantry right behind them on the opposite side.  If you use two lines of skirmishers, one over and one not, he'll just use his cavalry to overrun your line across the stream.  He can still do it with the formed infantry on the other side but he'll be facing their gunfire the whole trip.  Same if he assaults your skirmisher line with his infantry.  Without your line infantry behind the line of skirmishers he gets them without much difficulty.  You'll get a free shot at his infantry if you're right behind when they might possibly be disrupted plus he'll still have to assault across the stream.
12-05-2020, 06:33 AM,
Thanks KG, I thought that there might be some benefit to having the skirmishers on the other side of the stream.