• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New Guy, quick question
11-30-2020, 04:32 AM,
New Guy, quick question
Hello Everyone, I registered today after I watched a Youtube by Idjester on Antietam.  The ACW Tiller gaming system looks incredible.  I wanted to buy and invest my time in the Gettysburg Campaign.  

In Idjester's Youtube video (Civil War Battles ANTIETAM John Tiller Software Let's Look At this Game Scenarios, Counters, Maps - YouTube) at 45:51 he is reading "notes.pdf" file within Antietam.  It lists a bunch of changes that appear to be the way things should be.  

That video is over 2 years old and at that time, GBurg did not share in any of these "new updates."  I just checked the Tiller site and I see the MAP UPDATES now exist for GBurg, which they did not when this video was made.  My question is, do the changes in the Antietam "notes.pdf" document from 2 years ago now carry over into the Gettysburg Campaign rule set?  I was hoping they did.  If they did not, I will buy Antietam.

Are there any rules differences between Antietam and GBurg, or all Tiller ACW have the same rules? 

I want to spend some solo time with AI before looking for PBEM.  While playing against AI, I was wondering if PBEM people use 'Extreme FOW' in PBEM?  Until I start playing, I am not 100% sure I understand all of it, but that sounds like that option is a drastic change to the game.  To me (with zero experience), it sounds like this would be the best way to play.  But if PBEM people do not use it, I guess I will not practice with it.  Any info or comments on 'Extreme FOW' play is greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for allowing me to be a member of this forum.
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2020, 05:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-30-2020, 05:45 AM by The Real Rake.)
RE: New Guy, quick question
(11-30-2020, 04:32 AM)HeyThere Wrote: Hello Everyone, I registered today after I watched a Youtube by Idjester on Antietam.  The ACW Tiller gaming system looks incredible.  I wanted to buy and invest my time in the Gettysburg Campaign.  

In Idjester's Youtube video (Civil War Battles ANTIETAM John Tiller Software Let's Look At this Game Scenarios, Counters, Maps - YouTube) at 45:51 he is reading "notes.pdf" file within Antietam.  It lists a bunch of changes that appear to be the way things should be.  

That video is over 2 years old and at that time, GBurg did not share in any of these "new updates."  I just checked the Tiller site and I see the MAP UPDATES now exist for GBurg, which they did not when this video was made.  My question is, do the changes in the Antietam "notes.pdf" document from 2 years ago now carry over into the Gettysburg Campaign rule set?  I was hoping they did.  If they did not, I will buy Antietam.

Are there any rules differences between Antietam and GBurg, or all Tiller ACW have the same rules? 

I want to spend some solo time with AI before looking for PBEM.  While playing against AI, I was wondering if PBEM people use 'Extreme FOW' in PBEM?  Until I start playing, I am not 100% sure I understand all of it, but that sounds like that option is a drastic change to the game.  To me (with zero experience), it sounds like this would be the best way to play.  But if PBEM people do not use it, I guess I will not practice with it.  Any info or comments on 'Extreme FOW' play is greatly appreciated.

I believe all games in the series have been updated to the same level.  All games use a common rule set and the user's manual has been recently updated (all gam in the series use a common manual).  All have been converted to use the hand painted maps.

I had had a couple of games in the series for quite a few years (G'burg & Antietam), but only recently began playing beyond the "Started" scenarios.  I have mostly gamed against the AI for much of my gaming career, but I found the ACW AI lacking, more so than most.  I joined the ACWGC just to find some competition; take a look at the site if you wish:

http://www.wargame.ch/wc/acw/

Rarely having played PBEM, I've found the club to be a great place to learn more about the game and they seem to be a great bunch of guys.  There are still a few things that I'm trying to learn about this great series (I now own all but 3 of the games), but joining the club has certainly expedited my knowledge.

Regarding EFOW, most in the club seem not to use it.  Myself, I am a proponent of its use, mainly because I don't think too many regiments had RQ-11's in the early 1860's.  When EFOW first came out (in other games), I hated it.  But over time, I've learned to enjoy it and it's made me study the map more thoroughly.
11-30-2020, 05:46 AM,
(11-30-2020, 04:32 AM)HeyThere Wrote: Hello Everyone, I registered today after I watched a Youtube by Idjester on Antietam.  The ACW Tiller gaming system looks incredible.  I wanted to buy and invest my time in the Gettysburg Campaign.  

Hey New Guy,
     1). JTS usually updates all their previous releases with any new features that are introduced to the series, so yes Antietam and Gettysburg (and all other ACW series games) all use the same rule set and features.
     2). PBEM players all have options they prefer, some will use EFOW so just normal FOW, no one plays without it at all.  There’s a section in the top part of this forum that discussed optional rules and their pros and cons.  Me personally I like using phased play as it works best in my opinion (like the old SPI Terrible Swift Sword system).  Others hate it.  When posting for PBEM opponents whatever 2  players agree to is allowed by the Club.
     3).  Everyone here will agree that Plato the AI will only help you learn the mechanics, and bad tactical habits that few humans would ever let you get away with.  A human will actually explain to you what they’re doing and why so you learn from it, the AI will just leave you to wonder WTF was he thinking.

Welcome to the Blitz and JTS ACW games
11-30-2020, 06:11 AM,
EXCELLENT and thanks! GBurg it is!
11-30-2020, 06:18 AM,
I forgot to ask, when I buy GBurg, is all the new stuff (Manuals, Docs, and Maps) already in the download? Or do I have to do manual updates of some form?

Thanks again.
11-30-2020, 07:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-30-2020, 07:25 AM by Steel God.)
(11-30-2020, 06:18 AM)HeyThere Wrote: I forgot to ask, when I buy GBurg, is all the new stuff (Manuals, Docs, and Maps) already in the download?  Or do I have to do manual updates of some form?

Thanks again.

Gettysburg is the only title in the series that requires you to go to the JTS website and do an additional download.  That’s because the amount of maps and scenarios is larger than the others.  Any other game in the series the only time you’d do additional downloads is when they push an update.
11-30-2020, 11:32 AM,
I purchased GBurg tonight, I saw where the purchase window stated what Steel God said above about the MAPs. But this is not correct. Here is what I discovered.

(1) The manuals were not updated in the download. Because the directions in the purchase said only download the Maps, I assumed that meant the manuals were updated. Well, there were not. Not a big deal, but I am glad I checked this out.

(2) And the Maps were already updated!

Haha, no harm, but man, the purchase instructions were 100% opposite of reality. The Maps were updated and the Manuals were not.

Anyway, going thru the Starter scenario. There is a lot to take in, I can tell this is going to be awesome and a massive time sync.

Thanks again.
11-30-2020, 12:04 PM,
Go to the JTS website. I believe you'll find the newly updated manualthere. It will cover all of the ACW games. If you can't find it, I will find and post a link for it tomorrow. Happy hunting, I believe you'll enjoy Gettysburg.
11-30-2020, 02:59 PM,
Hi Rake, I found it and everything worked out. I was just explaining how the download instructions are not correct. You do NOT download the Maps, but you need to transfer over the manuals and other docs. Thanks