• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Destroying ditches when there's a bridge spanning them
11-29-2020, 05:57 AM,
Destroying ditches when there's a bridge spanning them
How do we use the "Destroy bridge or anti-tank ditch" command when there's a bridge spanning an anti-tank ditch?

The game seems to default to destruction of the bridge.
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2020, 08:19 PM,
RE: Destroying ditches when there's a bridge spanning them
Not sure I have ever seen that situation and I wonder if the only way to "attack" the AT ditch is to destroy the bridge first??

Just a guess.......
11-30-2020, 01:02 AM,
(11-29-2020, 08:19 PM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Not sure I have ever seen that situation and I wonder if the only way to "attack" the AT ditch is to destroy the bridge first??

Just a guess.......

The Scheldt campaign has bunches of them on Walcheren Island.
11-30-2020, 04:25 AM,
(11-30-2020, 01:02 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(11-29-2020, 08:19 PM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Not sure I have ever seen that situation and I wonder if the only way to "attack" the AT ditch is to destroy the bridge first??

Just a guess.......

The Scheldt campaign has bunches of them on Walcheren Island.

Any chance of a picture of this? I'm having problems understanding the situation. 

We have a ditch with a bridge across it but the ditch is still preventing movement? 

So we need to destroy the bridge to fill in the ditch? Or really we need to destroy the bridge first so that the game engine sees the ditch and allows us to destroy this.
11-30-2020, 07:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-30-2020, 07:23 AM by ComradeP.)
That's a good one.

The situation is as follows: if there's a bridge across a ditch, you can't damage the ditch. Only the bridge.

If you select "damage bridge or AT ditch" and succeed on the check, the bridge is damaged. The hex information mentions "damaged", but that refers only to the bridge. The reason why that might be a problem is that in order for non-foot units to cross the ditch, it's necessary to damage the ditch.

You can't damage the same hexside twice, the option is greyed out. You can't damage the bridge, followed by the ditch.

A number of unit types can only move into "jungle" (or inundated) hexes along a road. The same applies to, say, tracked units in swamps. If there's a ditch and a bridge that doesn't support the unit type (such as a light or medium bridge for an armoured unit), that's impossible as you can only damage the bridge.
11-30-2020, 08:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2020, 02:54 PM by Liebchen.)
(11-30-2020, 07:21 AM)ComradeP Wrote: That's a good one.

The situation is as follows: if there's a bridge across a ditch, you can't damage the ditch. Only the bridge.

If you select "damage bridge or AT ditch" and succeed on the check, the bridge is damaged. The hex information mentions "damaged", but that refers only to the bridge. The reason why that might be a problem is that in order for non-foot units to cross the ditch, it's necessary to damage the ditch.

You can't damage the same hexside twice, the option is greyed out. You can't damage the bridge, followed by the ditch.

A number of unit types can only move into "jungle" (or inundated) hexes along a road. The same applies to, say, tracked units in swamps. If there's a ditch and a bridge that doesn't support the unit type (such as a light or medium bridge for an armoured unit), that's impossible as you can only damage the bridge.

[Image: 2020-11-29_14h12_23.png]Exactly.

Imagine an AVRE tank in this town. I wants to go to the hex to its south, so it needs that bridge.

But the commandos in the town would like to destroy the ditch, so that they can attack to the south while deployed.

But they can't, because these two commands are one and the same, and it defaults to "destroy bridge" rather than giving a choice (like it does when it asks "which hexside?")
11-30-2020, 08:27 AM,
Yellow bar on unit card
What does this yellow bar above the unit card's icon mean? I do not recall ever seeing it before.[Image: 2020-11-29_14h23_11.png]
11-30-2020, 02:32 PM,
I believe that is the spotted indicator. That is based on some tests - units visible to enemy units show it and those that aren't don't.
[Image: exercise.png]
12-02-2020, 10:46 AM,
(11-30-2020, 08:15 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(11-30-2020, 07:21 AM)ComradeP Wrote: That's a good one.

[Image: 2020-11-29_14h12_23.png]Exactly.

Imagine an AVRE tank in this town. I wants to go to the hex to its south, so it needs that bridge.

But the commandos in the town would like to destroy the ditch, so that they can attack to the south while deployed.

But they can't, because these two commands are one and the same, and it defaults to "destroy bridge" rather than giving a choice (like it does when it asks "which hexside?")

Ideally, bridge damage and ditch damage should be uncoupled, at least in the menus.

Let me think about what we can do.

David