• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Discord Server For the Blitz
02-04-2024, 02:11 AM,
RE: Discord Server For the Blitz
(02-03-2024, 12:22 PM)warhero88 Wrote: Thanks Nick! Im new to Discord server. Is there a hosting area to play PzC/MC games interactively?

The user interface for Discord (the desktop app, phone app, or the webpage) is the client.  There are numerous Discord servers.  Hex! being one of those.  Discord is first and foremost a communications application allowing people to chat and talk.  The cool thing that Discord does is that within a single server there can be multiple "channels" or "chat rooms" or calls set up.  The server admin configures how these different channels or rooms are established on each server.  So within one Discord you may have what looks like forums for various topics, voice channels for communications, etc.  There are not channels where you can virtually host a game as in a VASSAL, or Table Top Simulator that I'm aware of (maybe someone has created a plugin for that?).  You can share your computer desktop or a video stream (i.e. computer camera) within a channel.  That is great for teaching a game, or doing a demo, or even interacting during a game, which is the most common use of Discord.

In the Hex! Discord server on the left hand side you'll see a list of different channels which all start with a # mark.  At the top under the heading This Place is a collection of channels that allow new people to introduce themselves, provides an overview of the Hex! Discord server, the rules for that server and how to interact with what has been set up.  If you have a Discord handle I can add you to my friends list and then we could chat together were I could walk you through more of what Discord does if you like.  You can also play around yourself.  It's fairly intuitive.  There are a bunch of great Discord servers for wargamers.  The ASL gamers have a great Discord server which is highly developed and very active as an example.

I'm not a Discord expert, but am more than willing to assist to get you going.  Let me know if you have any other questions.
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2024, 12:12 PM,
RE: Discord Server For the Blitz
Nick. Thanks for taking the time to overview Discord for me. As an experienced group of gamers, we have recently come back together after several years raising kids, advancing careers, etc. We have been playing HOI4 for the past year and though it is near to running its course with us, we really like the live/interactive play and coop mode it offers, and we can banter as if we were all around a 4x8 piece of plywood with WiF or other game. We actually use Discord to verbally interact during these sessions. This interactive gaming experience is what we are looking for but with a different game system. So we are sampling PzC/MC, which Ive played extensively, mostly solo, up-to ~2011ish, while the others are noobs to it. Also, Im looking at WiE2, but it doesn't offer network play (solid looking AI tho). Anyway, maybe Discord cant magically create this interactive gaming environment, but perhaps offers other benefits.
Quote this message in a reply