• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A question about replacements in an ACW Campaign Game
11-06-2020, 02:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-06-2020, 02:12 AM by Steel God.)
A question about replacements in an ACW Campaign Game
Okay, so I've read through the Users Manual and can't find a reference, and I want to say it was discussed in the forum too, but having scrolled back several years in posts in this forum and not finding anything I'll just post it up.

When you are playing the Campaign Game (PBEM but that shouldn't matter) and a unit takes losses are they permanent or does the unit come back whole next battle?  I have the notion in my head that I read somewhere that a unit will recover 10% strength between battles (e.g. a regiment of 400 that takes 20% losses would be at 320 at battles end and in next battle would be at 320 + 32 = 352).  But I can't find where I would have gotten this idea from.

Likewise, what happens to destroyed units.  If a regiment or battery is destroyed completely, via fire or melee, is it gone for good?  Or does it come back as some sort of cadre strength?

Finally, are there an impacts to the quality rating of a unit when it comes back? 

If units come back whole like zombies between battles there would be very little point in playing a campaign game, so I hope someone can point me to documentation that will put my fears to rest.
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2020, 04:31 AM,
RE: A question about replacements in an ACW Campaign Game
Sorry but even in the recent updates there is nothing in the Users Manual or the Main Help that describes this, something that should be corrected in any future updates.  However I can tell you from 15 years of playing the series that losses are carried over from one battle to the next and that depending on the time span between battles some losses may be replaced, this simulating replacements for the rebel units and men returning to duty for any number of reasons for the yanks.

If you look in the Campaign Editor Help under Campaign Data you will see the following
Losses from one situation are carried over to the next with some losses being replaced depending on the length of time between the battles.
11-06-2020, 05:07 AM,
(11-06-2020, 04:31 AM)krmiller Wrote: Sorry but even in the recent updates there is nothing in the Users Manual or the Main Help that describes this, something that should be corrected in any future updates.  However I can tell you from 15 years of playing the series that losses are carried over from one battle to the next and that depending on the time span between battles some losses may be replaced, this simulating replacements for the rebel units and men returning to duty for any number of reasons for the yanks.

If you look in the Campaign Editor Help under Campaign Data you will see the following
Losses from one situation are carried over to the next with some losses being replaced depending on the length of time between the battles.

Much appreciated.

Any insight on destroyed units?  Are they gone for good, or returned in some awful small size?
11-06-2020, 09:25 AM,
I believe they are brought back as very weak units.
Scenario Designer JTS Midway JTS Seven Years War JTS Wolfpack WDS Kriegsmarine
11-06-2020, 08:08 PM,
(11-06-2020, 09:25 AM)Gary McClellan Wrote: I believe they are brought back as very weak units.

Thank you sir.