• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Campaign 1814 vs Napoleon at Bay
11-07-2020, 12:45 AM,
Campaign 1814 vs Napoleon at Bay
The JTS site gives this brief description: "La Patrie en Danger - this is the entire campaign from late January to the gates of Paris on March 30th."  Is this played on a map of the entire region of eastern region of France, Paris to Bar-le-Duc, Laon to Troyes? Or is played on a series of small battle area maps, the results of each battle carrying over to the next? 

I ask because, of the dozens of board wargames I have played over too many decades to mention, Kevin Zucker's design "Napoleon at Bay" (AH, then OSG) remains near the top of my list, so I'm wondering if 1814 covers (literally) the same ground.
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2020, 01:56 AM,
RE: Campaign 1814 vs Napoleon at Bay
(11-07-2020, 12:45 AM)squarian Wrote: The JTS site gives this brief description: "La Patrie en Danger - this is the entire campaign from late January to the gates of Paris on March 30th."  Is this played on a map of the entire region of eastern region of France, Paris to Bar-le-Duc, Laon to Troyes? Or is played on a series of small battle area maps, the results of each battle carrying over to the next? 

I ask because, of the dozens of board wargames I have played over too many decades to mention, Kevin Zucker's design "Napoleon at Bay" (AH, then OSG) remains near the top of my list, so I'm wondering if 1814 covers (literally) the same ground.

Napoleon at Bay is a grand operational, division-level game, i.e. the units are divisions, one SP= 1,000 men, a hex is 3,200 meters across.

The JTS Nappy games, on the other hand, are much more tactical. The typical units are battalions and regiments (sometimes companies). Losses are measured in individual men and guns. A hex is only 100 meters across. Cannons fire at targets many hexes away.

There is fog of war (unless you opt out), and line of sight is typically across the map, so hiding behind hills, woods, and other obstructions can be effective. 

In Campaign 1814, a division could have 8-12 units to it.

In short, I don't think they are at all similar, except as to subject matter.

As for how the JTS game handles it, you'll have many scenarios showing different situations during the campaign, and each will be on a scenario-specific map. If you choose to play the campaign, then you'll be playing a series of such scenarios, the choice of which - and starting dispositions on which - are affected by the outcome of the prior engagement.

Hope that helps.
11-07-2020, 03:12 AM,
RE: Campaign 1814 vs Napoleon at Bay
(11-07-2020, 01:56 AM)Liebchen Wrote: Napoleon at Bay is a grand operational, division-level game, i.e. the units are divisions, one SP= 1,000 men, a hex is 3,200 meters across.

The JTS Nappy games, on the other hand, are much more tactical. The typical units are battalions and regiments (sometimes companies). Losses are measured in individual men and guns. A hex is only 100 meters across. Cannons fire at targets many hexes away.

There is fog of war (unless you opt out), and line of sight is typically across the map, so hiding behind hills, woods, and other obstructions can be effective. 

In Campaign 1814, a division could have 8-12 units to it.

In short, I don't think they are at all similar, except as to subject matter.

As for how the JTS game handles it, you'll have many scenarios showing different situations during the campaign, and each will be on a scenario-specific map. If you choose to play the campaign, then you'll be playing a series of such scenarios, the choice of which - and starting dispositions on which - are affected by the outcome of the prior engagement.

Hope that helps.

Yes, that does, thank you very much. 

I was aware that the scales of the two games were greatly different, but just as (for example) the JTS game in the PanzerCampaign series "France 40" covers the same geographical scope as the old AH "France 1940", albeit in far more granular scale (bn/co vs corps/division), I had hoped that that might be true of the Napoleonic series and 1814 in particular.  But so be it.